Why become a member? ×

Best strings for de-tuning a semi-tone down on a 5-string...

SimonH

Hi - still relatively new to the bass game after 30 years on guitars, but having a great time.

Need some advice: I just acquired a 5-string to avoid having to detune to a drop D for a couple of songs in my band's set... but we de-tune by a semi-tone to give the vocals and harmonies an easier time and the B string (now A sharp) flaps all over the place, and intonation and tonal definition isn't great.

What would be the best string choice to keep it as tight as I can? I've just ordered some DR Drop Down Tuning in a 5-string set, 45 to 125... or is this just life and I should put up and shut up?

All advice gratefully received... thanks!

Simon

DR DDT's are the perfect thing, by some engineering witchcraft the tension doesn't really vary that much. I go from D# standard to drop B quite regularly with mine and I've never noticed a tension difference. I have a 0.05 to 0.11 set and the 0.11 is perfectly playable in B, flaps a little in A, so a 0.125 should be fine in A#. The intonation is perfect in evey tuning, and they make lows a lot more distinct.

Edited by bobbass4k