Why become a member? ×

Speaker replacement

h8dabass

Hi guys,

I haven't posted much but i'm in deperate need of some advise. A friend of mine has sold me a Peavey 1 x 15" cab minus the speaker for a reasonable price. I'm looking to buy and fit an Eminence Kappalite 3015 into the cab.

Now I've read all these horror stories of people paying out for good speakers only to find that the cab is the wrong size or the port is the wrong type and the sound being useless. Does it really affect the sound of the speaker that much?

I'm not completely sure of the dimensions of the cab yet as it's still at my friend house and don't pick it up untill next week but I'm not sure if i should buy it now. Is there anyone who has replaced a 15" speaker with a Eminence Kappalite without checking size, dimensions, port size, etc. How did it work out and how was the sound?

Your much needed advise would be much appreciated

Phil

I know this is not directly answering your question ...... but if it's any help to you, I recently replaced some blown 12" PA speakers with a couple of Eminence Delta speakers. I am blown away. The quality of the Eminence speakers is immence. Great improvement in the sound versus the originals. I too worried that the speakers wouldn't fit. I worried that the screw holes wouldn't line up etc. I just took a look at the promo pictures of the new speakers online before I purchased and saw that they at least looked as if they had the same mounting holes. All worked out fine when they arrived.

If you're buying Eminence speakers, I strongly recommend these guys

[url="http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-bass-guitar-speakers-c-99.html?page=3&sort=20a"]http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-bass-guitar-speakers-c-99.html?page=3&sort=20a [/url]

Great people to deal with.

Edited by The Dark Lord

It is a pretty big deal to match speakers and cabs, but the Kappalite is pretty happy in standard sized cabs, usually the port is a bit small for full power. If it is the big peavey 15, might do OK to extend the port a bit for a lower tuning if it comes across as boomy.

[quote name='h8dabass' timestamp='1335702176' post='1634704']
When you say extend the port do you mean widen it?. I'm a complete novice when it comes to speaker techy stuff.
[/quote]

I mean make it longer. With a round one you fin another tube and telescope it, or roll something suitable up.