Why become a member? ×

Mesa 400+ value?

paulwillson

I think its just a loose connection... as I said, mines had its original valves in it up 'til the last service! These were still working fine, I replaced as a precautionary measure. I think all in all its a reliable amp, its just strange it developed a problem after having been sat, not getting used.

I'm on the look out for a combo, for the small gigs I do now anyway. The Mesa, and the big rig of doom will remain a work in progress. A spare fuse? I guess its just a bog standard one?

[quote name='paulwillson' timestamp='1333995412' post='1609394']
if you ever want to sell your 400+ message me Butler, would be great to have a spare i love these amps! I wonder what the differences are between the 400 and 400+??? they look the same :D
[/quote]

Ain't going to happen :D

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1333999404' post='1609478']
As already said, ther 400+ uses a different power section (more powerful using more valves) and has one extra graphic slider than the 400. Never used a 400+ so wouldn't know the difference in sound.
[/quote]

less powerful using more valves. In theory they should be the same wattage but when you start running large multiples of valves unless it's a really well designed amp with proper drive etc you start losing watts.

Edit - not saying bass 400+ is bad just that it's not as powerful as everyone thinks. I've had a few in the past etc.

Edited by umph

I think that's the 'nail on the head' for me. The Mesa just sounds immense and has plenty of volume for me so I'm fine with that. I have a daft desire to get another Bass 400 (though the M2000 currently going is very tempting) to drive the other cab but that's a vanity project pure and simple because I cannot imagine ever needing to run the 2x15 AND the 2x18 - mind you, imagine the sound!