Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Scarring...

Bassulike66

Hi all,

Just a quicky really, i currently use DR Drop down tuning strings, (steel round wounds). I use them mainly on my Spectors and Warwick SS1, they add a real aggressive attack to the tone of the basses.

I tend to dig in real hard whilst playing which i think helps create some of my sound, but of late i have noticed i am getting some minor fretboard scarring. I know it's due to string type and being a heavy handed sod! But Im quite intrigued as to how many of you out there also suffer the same problem, and is the scarring repairable!?

My fretted 5 has light string marks on the first 5 frets - the ones I use most! - after a couple of years playing with rounds. I recently fitted it with flats, which should be gentler.
I hear that, if necessary, you can have the damaged frets filed (or replaced) or the fingerboard smoothed over (in the case of a fretless). Since the damage to mine is minimal, I chose not to do anything, but if - as you say - you're heavy handed, I'm sure there is a solution.

I noticed light marks on the fingerboard of my 18-month-old upright too. Being a very cheap model, I'm not surprised. Once again, nothing major, so I don't feel I need to call in the experts just yet.

Edited by bluejay