Why become a member? ×

New To Double Bass, West London

repeatclicks

Hello All,

I've been considering taking up the double bass since last summer, and finally picked up a blonde Stentor 1950 from Thwaites over the weekend. It has been fitted with Rotosound RS4000 strings. I'm renting at the moment as I want to be absolutely sure that this is something I want to do, instead of dropping £500+ straightaway. Amazingly, the bass Im renting looks brand spankin new, and its only costing me £37.50 a month, and that includes insurance!

I'm looking to play blues, jazz and rockabilly styles, and would like some advice on some books, dvds, or sites that could help a beginner like me to get started on the basics. I've been looking for a tutor as well within West London or Central London as I feel I would be a stronger player with someone to support me on my journey! Right now Im just messing around on major scale 12 bar blues.

I know that Pete Turland has a rockabilly bass dvd out, but I'd rather get my foundations down first before bothering with slap etc.

I've been chatting quite often with Paul (bassdog on youtube), and he lives nearby but can't offer lessons. We plan to meet up at some point soon to chat bass though!

Anything to help me get going is appreciated!

It's a great idea to rent. As another newcomer to the upright, I'd only stress that you will benefit hugely from taking it slowly, so you don't hurt yourself. Rufus Reid's 'The Evolving Bassist' DVD has useful sections on left and right hand technique. Playing against a metronome is good for your timing (sorry if that's obvious). My teacher has me counting the clicks on beats 2 and 4 to get into a jazz groove. I found my teacher at the local conservatoire - there must be jazz degree students in London who'd give you a lesson or three. And have a look at local education courses and in arts centres for evening classes where beginners can get together and make a racket. Be prepared to be surprised - I was shoving my bass into the car on Monday night when a neighbour hailed me and said 'I'm looking for a double bass player." Despite my protestations of ineptness (I've been playing for 4 months) I found myself in a band on Tuesday. Crikey!

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1333102438' post='1597343']
Get a teacher!
[/quote]

+1 And do it soon as possible in order not to get hurt.

As for DVDs etc, I found Rufus Reid's book great. He gets you playing only the right hand on open strings for a long time - very effective. An inspirational player to watch and listen to. Ed Friedland's Jazz Upright Bass DVD is a better teaching aid though imo, with better organisation and presentation. Great for right hand technique and explains a lot about jazz playing for peeps like me that knew nothing about it at all.

The one certain thing is, you won't ever regret making the move. As Sarah says, prepare for life to get very interesting indeed. :)

I just got Ed Friedland's DVD following Fatback's post and yes, there's a lot more on right and left hand technique, he explains things more clearly (for me - everyone's different) and yes, it's better organised. I'm a pushover for Rufus Reid's relaxed low-down voice though. I could listen to him all day, speaking or playing. But thanks for the heads-up on Ed Friedland. Well worth the purchase price and will see me some far way into the future.

I should practice what I preach. I am working through some Bach pieces and the Eccles Sonata and some days I make progress then some days I take two steps backwards. I need a teacher myself ...

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1333546192' post='1603301']
I'm a pushover for Rufus Reid's relaxed low-down voice though. I could listen to him all day, speaking or playing.
[/quote]
I don't want to hijack the thread but both Rufus Reid and John Goldsby are the Bass tutors in the Sligo Jazz course 2012. Both are amazing players but Rufus is the Yoda of the bass.

Edited by marvin spangles

[quote name='marvin spangles' timestamp='1333549379' post='1603373']
I should practice what I preach. I am working through some Back pieces and the Eccles Sonata and some days I make progress then some days I take two steps backwards. I need a teacher myself ...

I don't want to hijack the thread but both Rufus Reid and John Goldsby are the Bass tutors in the Sligo Jazz course 2012. Both are amazing players but Rufus is the Yoda of the bass.
[/quote]

omg. That's a residential type course though, isn't it?

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1333566598' post='1603738']
350 euros for the summer school and another 125 euros for a student room. It goes up another 50 euros after 30 May. They say there will be details of workshops posted later this month. Anyone live near Sligo?
[/quote]
I live about a couple of hours away. I have gone there about 4 times. It's worth it for the concert gigs alone. The worlds best Jazzers playing to a like minded audience. It's a great 'shot in the arm' to reinvigorate your enthusiasm. What more could you want. I hope to go there again this year.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1333578428' post='1603948']
I'll defo get to a gig. The course is out of the question for two reasons, one I can't get more than a day at a time free, and two I'd be too scared as irredeemably rubbish :D
[/quote]
Hi Fatback
Everybody is rubbish compared to Goldsby and Rufus. There is a wide range of standards there. Everybody gets put into an ensemble matched to your standard of playing. They all get to perform a short programme on the final day. It's always great and all students and tutors are very supportive. Aside from the nightly official concerts there are student jams which are exactly that . But as you get confident with your ensemble you get a chance to put it out there. Despite my own mediocre playing I always come away from it buoyed up. You also get a chance to chat to many students in the same boat as your self. The standards of students is varied and that's what makes it great. It's a bit like golf in that you measure your improvement according to your own handicap so to speak. It really can be a life changing experience. And let's face it it's pretty short to have regrets.