Why become a member? ×

Compressor hiss

jazseven

Hey,
I've got a BBE Opto Stomp optical compressor and it's recently developed a rather noticeable hiss.
Before anyone suggests it's compressing underlying hiss from another i have checked all my other pedals on their own and this one is definitely the culprit.
When I'm playing through a cab the hiss isn't too bad, but a lot of gigs I d.i my bass through my head and that's when it really stands out.
Up until a few weeks ago it's been fine and i can't think of anything that's happened to make it start hissing.
Any help/advice will be hugely appreciated.

Jaz

Hmm, any compressor will add noise to a signal, due to the nature of the circuitry (recovery gain stage at the end etc), but if it's been quiet until now then the first thing I'd do is to check batteries wherever you have them (looks like a 'ray in your avatar). A lot of sound engineers I know like to take a signal directly from the bass, then give you a feed from the DI box to run your FX and amp, have you tried this? This should help to identify if the hiss is coming from the pre on your bass or not.

Sorry it's a bit basic, but I've no experience of the BBE pedal stuff.

The batteries in both basses are brand spangling new and the pedal itself is running off a 9vDC power adapter (which i've also crosschecked with other adapters).
I will have a look into the DI box route as I've always insisted they just use the direct out on my amp to save on cables and things to trip over :P

Just wish I could pinpoint what's triggered it.... it's all a bit odd