Why become a member? ×

Hola, amigos!

Alex Spencer

Hi. I'm Spencer, I'm 21, and I... I am a bassist.

I hale from a small village just outside Cambridge but am currently in my final year at De Montfort University in Leicester studying BSc Audio Recording Technology. I've been in bands since I was about 13 playing various instruments (I started as a drummer, can you believe that?!) but i've come to settle on bass. Unfortunately my playing has taken a serious backseat over the last three years since I've been at university but when I graduate in June I'm hoping to take things to the next level.

I started off with pop-punk roots (blink-182, Sum 41, all the early naughties classics) before moving on to more of the So. Cal punk scene (NoFX, Rancid, etc.) and drifting over into the heavy side of hardcore punk during my more angsty period are 17-18. Now i'm on the post-hardcore bandwagon but really have an appreciation for anything with a good rhythm and interesting progression. I'm a big fan of Brian Robinson from A Wilhelm Scream. I dig his technique a lot. He's got some major skills and some amazingly technical bass lines, yet they're not overpowering and fit nicely within the composition.

Currently I have a Fender Mark Hoppus Signature (Yeah, I know. I bought it when I was 15, give me a break! Still a pretty nice bass though!) running through a Tech21 SansAmp programmable Bass Drive DI into an Ampeg B5-R and out of a Warwick WCA 211 Pro. I've also got a Korg DTR-2 tuner in my rack, not that that effects the tone at all. If I won the Lottery this week I'd get myself a tidy Ampeg SVT810E, a Musicman Stringray and die a happy man, but i'm pretty content for now. Would like to upgrade to a 810 next, although I'd really need to be doing some serious gigging before contemplating it.

Sorry about the essay! I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this forum and getting involved in some good discussions!

Edited by Alex Spencer