Why become a member? ×

defret?

lobematt

I have a corvette Rockbass which I've been trying to sell as I don't really play it anymore and I need cash for a deposit for my ACG and too pay off A LOT of debt. I have a bad burning sensation deep in my belly though which is caused by months and months of serious gas build up for a five string fretless.

I think I have three options, one is to de fret my bass. The problem with this is I'd either have to do it myself or pay £85 for a local luthier to do it.

The second is to sell my bass, the problem with this is that I've been trying to sell it for months now and have hadno joy finding a buyer =(

The third option is to swap it for another fretless fivestring, no money lost but no money gained, gas cured. The problem being finding someone who's in a situation to swap basses with me!

Any ideas?

thats a tough one...if you happen to find anyone willing to trade, that would be the best option. it will be hard though...so you might consider defretting. if you feel comfortable to DIY, it shouldn't set you back more than 25-30 quid (if you have to buy sanding paper etc etc etc). however, if DIY isnt your cup of tea, get it professionally defretted (chances are it will sound better), even though it costs a bit.

good luck wth that mate

i tried to defret a vintage MM copy i had (by vintage i don't a classic i mean those nasty £90 basses) and I chipped the fretboard pulling a few out and i think itired to fill it with the wrong stuff, it was so long ago now though that i cant remember what i put into it. But the fretboard wood was very soft and i was very young and hadn't hardly read into it at all so i do feel more confident about it now but still a little weary :s