Why become a member? ×

Does anyone have one of these?

tommorichards

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310369472797?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1558wt_1396"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310369472797?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1558wt_1396[/url]

i came across them while looking for a pickup for a new project of mine. Im wondering as i would love to know their resistance before i commit to buying them. Ive asked the seller, and they dont have a multimeter to check :(

So if anyone can tell me, that would be fantastic.

A lot of ebay sellers are just importing cheap pickups to sell on, they don't really care so much about what's inside them. I asked a seller last week if a certain pickup had a bar or pole pieces under hte chrome cover and he had no idea. To his credit he did contact the manufacturer to confirm that they were bars but he guessed that they were pole pieces before I insisted that he found out before I considered making a purchase. Naturally, if I was importing pickups I'd want to know every last detail about what goes into their construction! As for these Stellah ones, they look cheap and I'm sure there are much better ones out there for not much more.

I have a brand new MM-style pickup in my spares box from an old project. Open pole pieces, 4 wires for series/parallel, measures a beefy 12.2kOhm (6.1kOhm per coil) on the meter

Will match the price of that Stellah one, so £13 all-in. Send a message if you're interested :)

Edited by Protium

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1329683017' post='1545940']
Sounds like a good deal dude, but i'm after ones with no exposed polepieces. And theyre quite hard to find, especially if you want to know the resistance :angry:
[/quote]

No probs, I'd have thought a big seller like that could afford a £5 meter!

I've got a covered one bought cheap from ebay - put into the 5-string fanned fret bass i put together a few years ago, just checked the resistance, it's about 4.3k! You want it? Send me a pm :)
Note: mine has no 4-conductor wiring, just earth and live; with this resistance it may just be a single coil in a plastic shell...

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1329689919' post='1546094']
I've got a covered one bought cheap from ebay - put into the 5-string fanned fret bass i put together a few years ago, just checked the resistance, it's about 4.3k! You want it? Send me a pm :)
Note: mine has no 4-conductor wiring, just earth and live; with this resistance it may just be a single coil in a plastic shell...
[/quote]

Im looking for some for a 4 stringer, but thanks anyway.

[quote name='untune' timestamp='1329691935' post='1546137']
Yeah, isn't it the inductance that's more important than resistance?
[/quote]

yeah, but if resistance is hard to find, inductance is nigh on impossible.

I was looking at an EMG mm hz, but even they dont have a resistance value.