Why become a member? ×

Learning bass player seeks other musicians

Quest_bikerider

No I havnt put this post in the wrong place, Just wanted a little insight into a problem free intoduction to other musicians. I have been playing only a short time & am very much on the learning curve & hungry to learn,
I have played with others a few times (never gigged) & I supose I have learned a bit from them, but its always led to dissapointment iether I meet up with the pros who are expexting Jacko Pastorius to turn up for the gig next week, or they are more concerned with smoking elegal substances or drinking instead of playing music, despite me being honest about my abilities. Sure I can learn a song or two & play along a bit but it takes time because Im still learning the foundations & things are not perfect. Just wonderd what's the best approach? I took up bass for fun rather than become a professional bassist & Im having great fun with it, but it would be a lot more fun playing with others on the same wavelength.

Why not track down a 'plug n play' night?

There's usually a good mix of genres, age groups and expertise at these things and I've always found everyone really friendly.

If you're feeling a bit worried about playing in front of an audience then just sit back, make some contacts and enjoy until you are ready to jump in. :)

[quote name='Quest_bikerider' timestamp='1329423319' post='1542374']
No I havnt put this post in the wrong place, Just wanted a little insight into a problem free intoduction to other musicians. I have been playing only a short time & am very much on the learning curve & hungry to learn,
I have played with others a few times (never gigged) & I supose I have learned a bit from them, but its always led to dissapointment iether I meet up with the pros who are expexting Jacko Pastorius to turn up for the gig next week, or they are more concerned with smoking elegal substances or drinking instead of playing music, despite me being honest about my abilities. Sure I can learn a song or two & play along a bit but it takes time because Im still learning the foundations & things are not perfect. Just wonderd what's the best approach? I took up bass for fun rather than become a professional bassist & Im having great fun with it, but it would be a lot more fun playing with others on the same wavelength.
[/quote]

If it helps, there's a couple of jams I know of in the Berkshire area - one is a Blues Jammers night (I think it's on a Wednesday night) at South Hill Park, and the other (if it still runs) is a jam night held on a Sunday night at The Swan in Arborfield. They're good experiences for playing with other people at different levels of ability.

As an alternative, might be worth your while signing up to something like Josaka or Bandmix and advertising the fact that you're looking to play with other people at your level?

Edited by louisthebass