Why become a member? ×

Valuing Bassists on Stupid Criteria

xilddx

Because anyone can get together a few quid and strap on a bass and plug into an amp. Find a couple of mates and all of a sudden you're in a band. Copy a few tunes and you're good to go.

Fast forward a few years, you've been in a few bands done a few gigs infront of some mates or a few drunk people in a pub and then you can call yourself a musician.

It's a bit like putting together an ikea wardrobe and calling yourself a carpenter.

The difference is 'feel'. There are people who can pull of tasteful slap and widdly stuff and people who can play root notes. Everyone can do this with enough practice but unless they know what they are listening for when they play it will always sound like a mechanical bag of bolts.

If one person likes what you have done then you have done it well.

My wife likes her ikea wardrobe.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1327530724' post='1513100']
By god I see a lot of this on here. It seems many of us judge the quality of musicians by their chops. I have seen plenty of bassists with great chops, and the articulation and expression of a sedated sloth.

Why is this? Are we so deaf to beautifully nuanced simplicity? Are we only focused on the bland displays of the mechanics, demonstrating years of study and practice? Yes yes, some of us vindicate ourselves by slagging off Nigel Clutterbuck, and exalting James Jamerson, and then post a video of 'An Amazing Bass Solo' featuring, you guessed it, some SLAP, supposedly funky, almost always about as interesting as a sheet of toilet paper and with less texture.

Why can't we value TASTE over technique? Is it because we think it requires no tangible effort?
[/quote]

You're barking up the wrong tree. From what I've seen of the music industry these past few years it's all about image and owning a quirky retro instrument. Chops, technique and taste don't count for anything any more! :P

Edit: 45 minutes after I post this we get this thread! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166328-so-you-have-to-use-a-thunderbird-or-you-dont-get-the-job/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166328-so-you-have-to-use-a-thunderbird-or-you-dont-get-the-job/[/url] I wasn't being entirely serious with my original post but things are worse than I thought :lol:

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1327662691' post='1514867']
Isn't it [i]zeitgeist[/i]? We need "bits of paper" for everything these days. While there are some that don't give a stuff about grades so long as you can play there are others with whom you won't get a look-in unless you can flash the "relevant" qualification.
[/quote]

I agree. People are made to jump through hoops now more than ever.