Why become a member? ×

Pain in fretting hand

Jam

I had a bass lesson last night and my teacher made some corrections to my fretting technique. It all makes sense and I don't think I strained it, but today there's a lot of pain in my index finger between the 2nd and 3rd knuckles. It doesn't feel inflamed at all but now and then there's a sharp shooting pain.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? I played my acoustic bass at practice last night and that has a high action so maybe that contributed...

Apologies for the new thread, I had a quick scan of old threads but found nothing relevant.

Well if your fretting hand technique needed a slight adjustment and you've been playing a bass with a high action then it's perhaps not too surprising you're feeling the after effects of it.

Leaving aside the high action issue (that's fixable if setup properly) there are a number of other factors to consider, the most obvious ones, to me at least, being:

Strap adjustment - altering the height of the bass means altering the angle of the arm and in turn puts varying degrees of stress on the back of the hand as you fret.

Neck angle - if too shallow then it's going to strain your hand and you're realy going to have to press hard with your fingers to compensate.

Arm/hand position - changing your hand position if it's wrong is a fine idea, but you need to 'unlearn' what you've taught yourself and might need to move your arm position slightly to compensate for that change.

It's extremely unlikely that one lesson will cause anything other than temporary discomfort, but your fingers are telling you to get it sorted out. :)