Why become a member? ×

A few chord questions

lobematt

Just got a bit stuck on two chords that have cropped up in 2 songs I've been looking at...

The first one is in Summertime and its the A7+9. I assumed that it would have been A7 with a 9 added like A B C# D E F# G A B. In the Aebersold book though it says the notes for the solo are A Bb C C# D# F G A Bb C. Can anyone explain this for me?? Also if it has a minor and major 3rd which one would you use for the arpeggio?

The second one is sort of similar, it's the bar in Footprints with E7+9 then A7+9+5 but with Eb7+11 in brackets underneath it. I imagine the E7+9 is the same answer as above but can anyone tell me whats going on with the second half?

Cheers!!

A + in a chord refers to an augmentation (i.e. sharpening the note). If you can sharpen a note, you can also flatten it so a chord can have both a flattened and sharpened note in it, although it is generall not named that way. It generally relates back to the melodic minor (as opposed to natural minor) which is a major scale with a flattened third. The V chord in a major key is a dominant 7 chord. In a melodic minor scale, the V chord is a 7b9 but can also b a #9 (both work). A +chord can also be a +4 (+11) or +5 which relates to a lydian dominant (CDEF#GABbC). The really interesting one id the altered scale C C# D# E F# G# B C, the 7th mode of the melodic nimor scale. This is quite advanced sh*t so stick with it.

Oh - the arpeggio choices are I III, V VII bIX or I III V VII #9 but they are only ways of understanding the arpeggio and rehearsing it, you would not play it that way very often if at all.

Thanks for that. I'm still not sure I'm with it but I'll keep reading over it and hope it sinks in! The only reason I asked about the arpeggio was to know what notes to aim for in my improvising/basslines, so III and VII are probably my best choices?

If +9 is augmented, is that basically where my bIII has come from then??