Why become a member? ×

Speed and open strings.. tricks?

TheBear

Hi,

My best wishes for 2012.

I'm seeking for advices / tricks to help e with a small issue: I "lose" accuracy & "control" while playing empty strings in the middle of a riffs.

I can play faster with the transposed even if sometime it requests some stretching, but eventually I need to play the empty strings for the sound & proper.

Obviously tried slow and speed up. After some speed is reached, the empty stings kindda brings to a stop (sort of playing always a semibreve before continuing)

Am i the only one suffering this... and has anyone any tricks to address this ?

thanks,

chris

speed with the fretting hand? or the plucking?

It may be the loss of tension that some open strings have against fretted notes/strings. More noticable on the lower strings.

If its a case of fretting hand I can only suggest practice practice practice. I do have the same problem, for example with "bombtrack - RATM" its normally played with the open E and A strings, however i find it a thousand times easier actually fretting the notes around the 3rd and 5th frets.
One thing I did when I was playing gaytar was "fret" above the nut for open strings.

If its your plucking hand then increasing the tension with better break angles from nut to tuning post may help.

Hi,

It's actually a bit of both. I;m struggling to not fret with the right hand, and because I need to really think "don't fret", I'm losing beat on the left hand.

I guess I'll have to accept that there is not trick :) It's kindda frustrating though.. It's going well at low speed, not while building up temp, and the progress are slow..

thanks,
Chris

then for when you have to actually play songs in front of people (live at gigs) just play a fretted note instead. for the time being.

For me fretted notes sound more percusive and jump out a lot, and using bombtrack as an example, its fairly quick set of notes, but even on the record the bass in non descript. When I play it my way the bass part comes more a live and helps bring the beat in under the guitar.

Part of playing bass is playing it how you feel comfortable and what you like. I wouldnt say dont bother as thats limiting. Keep practicing itll come, and dont get disheartened if it takes a while.
I've been trying to play the beginning of bombtrack for over 2 years. If you commit itll happen.

I would try a lighter guage string, a lighter touch, and an increase in tension(break angle thing) these should make it easier.