Why become a member? ×

First DB

Maxcat

Hi all. Just got my first DB and I need to fit a pickup. My plan is to get the pickup that the previous owner used (and was happy with) which is a Realist and run it through a ToneBone BassBone to a GB Shuttle 6 with either a 210T or a 112Neox. I have 2 questions that I would like to pick your collective brains about. The first is simply, will this path work.I believe that the Realist doesnt require a V high input Piezo specific pre amp and to be honest, I could do without buying a pre amp so Im hoping Ive got the gear already.
The second is does anyone have a Realist that they would like to sell. I would like to be able to get gig ready as soon as I can. Thanks in advance, and apologies if the second is a Wanted Item.

Cheers

Don

Hi Don. Welcome to the world of double bass. Your Genz gear should be good for double bass and will probably handle most pickups without an outboard preamp. However an outboard such as a Fishman Plat Pro will improve the sound of the pickup and do so much more, such as DI into a sound desk if you are likely to use one. It can also limit the dreaded feedback that a lot of DB players encounter from time to time. But that's for a future purchase. At a basic level there are two types of piezo pickup, the one you put under the bridge foot eg a Realist and one that goes in the bridge wing eg a Bassmax or Underwood. The former gives a quite good 'woody' sound of the bass and will sound good in your room at home but on a gig you might find it too thumpy and have difficulty cutting through the other instruments. The latter, without good eq, can be harsh, nasal and honky but once eq'd properly IMO sound good. The Bassmax seems to be a BC favorite right now.

I suggest you put a wanted ad out and see what you get; possibly some kind BCer might loan you a pickup to try. These are all my personal opinions and you may find other BC views coming in but they are all valid. Best advice, get out there and enjoy the DB experience; refine your equipment in due course.