Why become a member? ×

Analysing melodies

lobematt

Hey there I read this on JazzAdvice...

[i]"[color=#FFA700][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]IV) Study the sounds that move you[/size][/font][/color][/i][color=#333333][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[i]It could be a short chord progression. It could be a pop tune that you happened to catch on the radio. It might be a ii-V line played by one of your heroes. It might be a voicing that sends a chill down your spine. It could even be just one note.[/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[i]Whatever they are, find the sounds that resonate with you personally and study them. Figure out what they are, how they work, and how to use them. What exactly is it about that sound moves you? Why do you like that particular chord progression, melody, or rhythm?[/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[i]The answers to these questions will lead you to finding your own voice. Listen to any great player and you’ll hear the same harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic devices showing up again and again in their solos. This is not a coincidence. Find your strengths and personal sound and let it come through in your playing."[/i][/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
So I first thought of the leading bass melody in A Remark You Made, which I'm looking at in a jazz duo I've recently formed, but I'm not too sure how to read much further into it than what's obvious on the surface?[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
So it's over a C- using a C- scale, then accents the Ab and the chord changes to Ab/C and after that the chords seem to go in a sort of cycle of 5ths (im not sure if that's right btw!) with a descending bassline. But the question is... What can I take from this too apply to the quote above? Or have I missed the point slightly?[/size][/font][/color]

Not really. Most simple pretty melodies are just that; simple diatonic scales offering pretty melodies. There are other issues to consider, however, and ARYM offers some opportunities to discuss. The 'pretty' bit, the bit Jaco plays, works so well because of what has gone before. The tension is released by the Jaco melody and it is that release of tension that gives it that sense of 'aaah'. Also, there are issues around chord voicings, timbre and tempo that help the tune breathe so beautifully. Its not just the notes. Thik of the tune played twice as fast or on a trombone. That's why so many of these 'James Galway plays The Beatles' or 'Pop Goes The Classics' albums are so poor; the producers don't get the importance of context.