Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried those big-bottle KT120 power tubes?

VTypeV4

Anyone tried those big-bottle KT120 power tubes in anything?

I understand they're a direct replacement for any KT88/6550 based amp simply requiring a tweak to the bias. According to the specs, they can deal with more current than any other power tube out there and, if the power supply allows, can give the amp a bit more juice and clean headroom..

I've read a couple of reviews and papers on them in hifi applications and no-one seems to have a bad word against them either sonically or in terms of reliability..

I expect our applications would be the likes of the Ampeg SVT, Trace Elliot V-Type range, Peavey Classic 400, Fender/Sunn 300T etc..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1323965788' post='1469317']
Not suggested then, boys?

The hifi crowd seem to love 'em..
[/quote]Th

They also love $2000 power cables.

But there's nothing that captures the feeling of being there in the room with the band recording with you like the smell of transformers melting, due to stinkyness and swearing, that is the hallmark of sharing a confined space with a band who are recording.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1323969642' post='1469403']
Th

[i][size=5]They also love $2000 power cables[/size][/i].

But there's nothing that captures the feeling of being there in the room with the band recording with you like the smell of transformers melting, due to stinkyness and swearing, that is the hallmark of sharing a confined space with a band who are recording.
[/quote]

Very true indeed!