Why become a member? ×

Decent bow for EUB?

ficelles

Weight, grip and balance. Same checklist as any bow... Just find one that's comfortable and that bounces when you want it to, and doesn't when you don't! I can't anticipate that it'd be worth forking out thousands. I've got a french pattern Zeller, (paid under 100 from a dealer) and it's fine.

I've tried cello bows of different values, and the tone is different (I make no pretense that it's not!) but not necessarily proportionally.... Highlights:

I've got a "dark" sounding (too heavy, but it suited the cello i was playing when I bought it) cello bow which cost 700 years ago - I NEVER use it.
My day-to-day bow was £170. Nice sound, good balance, nice bounce, easy to control.
When I was playing in folk sessions in pubs a lot, I was getting paranoid about that bow, just waiting for the day it got sat on/knocked off the table/pint knocked over it etc, so I went into a local violin shop who had a stock of £20 to £30 bows... and tried every one. Came out with a £20 bow with a decent, straight stick that didn't quite have the tone of my nice one, but played just as well.

Bows. It's a whole new world of pain.

There really is no substitute for trying them.

The variables have no right to make such a difference. Sadly they do. If I had the disposable income then I would happily drop £5K minimum on a bow. Once you have played a nice one you just wonder how you can ever go back.

I was with a fiddle player who was trying bows out last year... after trying what seemed like dozens she came down to two and chose one for $400. I could hear the difference between that and the other ones for sure including when I played it myself (I play violin to a really ropey standard), but for 400 bucks she got a really nice vintage violin bow. Not sure I'm seeing the same value for money with bass bows in the UK!

ficelles