Why become a member? ×

Read Purity Pre amp - hand built, all valve tube goodness! Pic's included

krispn

As of today, [u]16/12/11[/u]

Looks like she's off the market folks trade deal all lined up and triggers about to be pulled!
Thanks for looking and those who had questeions and showed interest.

I'll leave the post up as there are some useful links for those who may stumble upon this link in the future

OK some people know about this pre and some don't. Hand built in the USA by an audiophile called Jack Read (who explains his pre amp first hand on this linked thread, the highlights of which I have copied into the box below to save you 6 pages of talkbass chatter :) Jack talks about the design process using as few components as possible to maintain signal clarity etc. Its a good read!

More details below but essentially this is an.....

- All valve, hand built pre
- 4 band eq incl. bass (boost only), low and high mids, treble
- Bass and bright boost switches
- EQ bypass switch
- 'Emphasis' control (more details on this function below)
- Jensen D.I. with level control
- Very, very high standard of components and workmanship (alpha pots, custom made toroidal transformers)
- External access to the valves so no need to unscrew anything - just pop them out and in to experiment.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/read-custom-bass-purity-preamp-inside-scoop-106213/"]http://www.talkbass....e-scoop-106213/[/url]

[color=#000000]...... I had some [color=#FF0000][b]custom[/b][/color] toroidal power transformers made so I could get this all down to one
rack space. I also incorporated an effects loop, a DI level control,
transformer coupling for the output signals, and an EQ Bypass switch. The
latter was something I had in mind from the very beginning and is an
indispensable feature. I strived to make the [color=#FF0000][b]preamp[/b][/color] as open and natural
sounding as possible; capture some of that tube magic (warmth, depth, and a
certain three dimensional quality that I have never found in solid state
designs); and maintain quick response and clarity without any harshness. I use very high grade components in every part of the signal path wherever it makes a difference. I build high end tube audio gear now and then and much of the Bass [color=#FF0000][b]Purity[/b][/color] design was influenced by that. I don't
use any printed circuit boards.... Components are mounted on a 1/8" epoxy/fiberglass board and are soldered to turrets (not eyelets). Everything is point-to-point wired. Tubes are 12AX7 and 12AU7.[/color]

The emphasis knob works by boosting a broad range of middle frequneces along a unique response curve. This is an excellent tool for cutting through a mix, or for making tweaks to your eq without losing "your sound". As you turn the emphasis knob clockwise you can hear your bass cut through more. Flat is full counterclockwise. It can still be used when the eq is bypassed.

Other features include a Jensen DI (as found in Aguilar, Radial and other high quality stuff for a killer D.I. sound.) Effects loop, and the best bit external access to the valves so you can switch them over with out having to open the unit. Simplicity itself!

Price is £525 shipped and insured UK next day delivery

Edited by krispn

I also have a power amp to pair with this if anyone is after a killer live rig (Eden WT1000)

Open to trades:
-Preamp only for an Aguilar TH500 or similarly priced compact head

-complete rig of the EdenWT/Read for an all valve head such as AD200, Aguilar DB750 or DB359

I'm not looking for an Orange Tiny Terror and ideally trade offers would be for heads capable of 300w+

Cheers