Why become a member? ×

Newbie........ Amplification advice needed

IanM67

Hello all,

Looking for some recommendations as to suitable amplification for a beginner...... Now I know that in the case of a bass guitar amp' that bigger probably is best but I am only looking to spend about £100. Used gear I guess is preferable as it will provide more bang for my buck. This will be for bedroom use only to start with so something relatively compact would be prefered. I have heard some good stuff said about Ashdown kit. Is this to be believed or should I be looking elsewhere....

Thanks in advance,
IanM

Hi Ian

Welcome to the friendliest forum around

£100 is more than enough for a home practice amp. It's nearly enough to get a gigging amp! Check out the for sale section, there are quite few good practice amps around for less than £50 which will work fine for home use.
Get practicing and find a band then scrape together £200 for a good gigging amp rather than getting something too cheap you wont wanna gig with.

Stuff here does seem quite a bit cheeper that ebay, plus MOST here wont rip you off with crap.

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1322771635' post='1455781']
Welcome to the friendliest forum around

£100 is more than enough for a home practice amp. It's nearly enough to get a gigging amp!
[/quote]

Nugget speaks sense. We are friendly..... erm..... Hi!

Seriously though, second hand is the future for gear on a budget.

This might be an odd question but are you sure you need an amp if its just for home practice? Just as a suggestion, what about a headphone amp or a multi effects unit with headphone out?

I hardly ever use an amp at home, nearly always plug into a Line6 bass floor pod and head phones. Just a thought