Why become a member? ×

Cab choice for a 100 watt valve head

Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1320240735' post='1424153']
How about the Eminence Basslite s2012 for a pair of smallish 1x12s? I've seen them at decent prices, they have lower Fs and Eminence have designs on their website for sealed or ported 1x12s.
[/quote]
Blimey! I wouldn't be worried about the bass response for the BN12-300s as a pair would still outdo a single deltalite down low but with more mid/top as a bonus (I had a quick play in winisd), but at that price ouch! No way. I think the 4ohm variants would be too problematic for use with your other (SS) head. Alex's options are all good, just be sure with the basslites that the whopping 9dB sensitivity peak around 2.5k versus average is something you can live with! I'd personally find it a bit harsh.
Given the availability issues, for the DIY route if it were me I'd go for the single deltalite in a 60-odd litre cab. Use Alex's construction method with light ply and you'll literally be able to throw it in the air - we built a pair of BFM Jack 10s, one normal cheap ply and one poplar. They're about 75 litres external volume and fair more heavily braced than a simple ported box, and they are stupid light especially the poplar one (not so keen on the sound but that's another story).

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd update the thread with what I've ended up with. Alex Claber offered me a "tired looking" empty cab, without fittings which was built as a Super 12 prototype and just hanging around the workshop, as it was not quite up to his cosmetic standards to send out to a customer. I picked up a pair of B&C 12HPL64 drivers from the BC classifieds which I thought would do a good job for my needs, and combined the two. I then tarted it up with black and silver grillecloth (from a vintage radio guy on eBay), gold piping and some corners and handles. Adapting the cab for a cloth grille took some fiddling, as it was built for a metal grille.
I'm well pleased with the results - the B&C drivers have very good sensitivity and have nice even response through the mids and upper mids. F3 is at 80Hz, so it's not a sub-bass monster, but I'm fine with that. They have lower excursion-limited power handling than the Kappalites Alex would have used, but I only have 100 watts to play with, so that's a reasonable compromise in this case. It is a lot clearer sounding than my old 1x15", so I have removed the "bright" cap from my amp. The cab is also ridiculously light - I think it may weigh less than the head! I'm looking forward to gigging this rig. So thanks, Alex. If my band ever gets to playing bigger venues, I may have to call you up for a Super 15!
[attachment=93367:bass cab new 2 003.JPG]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1321710368' post='1442260']
So thanks, Alex. If my band ever gets to playing bigger venues, I may have to call you up for a Super 15!
[attachment=93367:bass cab new 2 003.JPG]
[/quote]

Great result! Jolly decent of Alex, look forward to hearing this at a gig some time. I really like the clear midrange voicing on the older Markbass 12" cabs, which I'm guessing used a similar driver, so I expect to like this.