Why become a member? ×

EHX Bass Metaphors FS

Ian Savage

As per the thread title, going to have one last punt at shifting this on here before I go to evilBay - bought it so that I could run direct into my PA amp and not bother with a bass head but my setup's become slightly more complicated so this won't get used :)

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/smokingbeagle/Selling/P1030910.jpg[/IMG]

Right, the skinny - this is essentially a full-on bass preamp in a box, with switchable distortion and compression. They seem to have got a few bad reviews on t'web from people who really don't know how to use them, as they're not like a traditional bass amp: you treat the three 'sections' (direct sound, EQ and distortion) as being in parallel with each other, and blend them as you need to.

So, going right-to-left - you set your dry bass level with the 'Dry' knob, which is unaffected by either footswitch. If you've got a bass which needs no EQ (or you're running it into a separate bass amp with EQ), that's your core sound set, sorted. You've then got an EQ section (bass and treble, plus level) to tweak, which can be kicked in and out with the 'Bypass' footswitch; if you need two differently-equalised bass sounds, or a boost behind guitar solos, that's that done. There's then the distortion (which goes from a subtle overdrive to proper filth, quite cool) on a single knob, also footswitchable. The Volume knob then controls the overall output of the unit, again unaffected by either footswitch - hey presto, three potentially vastly different sounds from a single box. The compression works, does the job, although I found it a touch noisy so didn't use it much for recording - wouldn't be noticeable live.

There's a balanced XLR DI out on the side, as well as a 1/4" jack to feed an amp (there's also a parallel output on the right-hand side, which gives you access to an uneffected 'clean' bass sound). For a one-stop recording solution, it's the nuts, and would also suit live bass for anyone who wants a 'set-and-forget' two or three-tone rig.

It's got a decent power adaptor (which it needs, won't run off batteries) although it's not the official EHX one as I didn't get one with it.

Looking at fifty quid for this, collection from Birmingham B13 preferable but it wouldn't cost more than a few quid to post.

• 3 weeks later...