Why become a member? ×

Reverb Pedal recommendations

simwells

I have the Rocktron Cyborg Reverb pedal which for the sound I want from it is ideal as if I can max the decay and create a lot of post rockish noises from it where the attack of the note is completely lost. I am very happy with what I can do with the pedal sound wise but it's just massive so was wondering if anyone could suggest good pedals that could do this in a more typical pedal enclosure size?

Have tried looking at videos and soundclips but as it's not exactly normal usage of the pedal I can't find much.

I've used an EHX Holy Grail Plus, which is fairly compact and has a blend knob (which can go up to 100% effected, which I'm assuming might be useful for your style) in addition to decay time and mode selection. The Hall setting's nice and the Spring sounds authentic (unlike the equivalent on Boss units) but the only drawback is it needs its own individual 9V supply. The connector's the standard centre-negative barrel type, but daisy-chained with other pedals it adds an annoying background whine which gets louder when you add gain/distortion. Other than that, the HG+ is, in of itself, a great little box.

Because of the daisy-chaining noise issues my HG+ is now off my board and I use Boss RV-5s for both guitar and bass. I personally like them, but the Spring setting is useless and you need to roll off the tone knob to keep the decay warm-sounding. They don't do 100% wet either, which is why I keep an RV-3. You might have guessed I'm into reverb-y post rock swashes of sound too. :)

The TC Electronic Hall of Fame is another pedalboard-friendly box that I was tempted to try out, but never got around to it.

I've used the Digitech X series reverb and the Hardwire 'verb. The X series was very wet sounding and good for interesting noises but the Hardwire beats it in simply sounding nicer and more transparent. Both have blend and decay controls but the X series is more extreme and I reckon would suit post rock sounds better.

Have you looked at the Line 6 Verbzilla?

I've used the digiverb and the hardwire reverb too, both are really good in my opinion. I agree that the hardwire sounds better (to my ears), but if you shop around you can pick up the digiverb for around the £40 mark and at that price point it destroys the competition. I've never had a problem with digitech stuff, but a friend of mine went through 2 of the digiverbs in a month, so maybe there are some qaulity issues on some of them?
I'm waiting on delivery of a Dr Scientist Reverberator to see what the fuss is about, but from the clips i've heard it sounds phenominal. However, for the price, i'd expect nothing less!