Why become a member? ×

Hofner Violin Bass tuner upgrade anyone?

Godfrey

Can anyone advise on this please?
I have a Hofner Contemporary series violin bass (Chinese built) which I quite like however the original fit tuners are not good. The plastic buttons are beginning to show cracks and I suspect the metal gearing parts are of not of particularly good quality.
I'm wondering about trying to replace them with some all metal tuners, preferably proper bass ones, and if anyone has any experience of this and can make any recommendations or highlight any pitfalls.
As the bass is a reissue and not worth a lot of money, I'm not worried about modifying it's looks (I've already done away with the pick guard). I'd rather have it upgraded to something I feel is a bit more trustworthy.
Any help appreciated - thanks.

• 4 months later...

Inevitably one of the Wilkinson tuners finally failed - the E stripped which, looking at various forums, seems to be a fairly common problem with them.
Replaced them with the V63 singles which do indeed leave a hole, or perhaps more accurately half a hole, visible. You could do the job properly and fill them before fitting the new ones but I haven't bothered as they're not easily seen.
When you see the two types side by side, the poor quality of the Wilkinsons is plainly apparent. The Hofner ones are much more robust and have a more positive feel about them.
Bought the new ones from Thomann in Germany by the way - about £20 cheaper than UK price.

Edited by Godfrey