Why become a member? ×

Indie IRK bass

edstraker123

Anybody know what the issue is with posting these on Ebay.
I appreciate Rickenbacker trying to protect their design but surely their argument is with Indie as a manufacturer rather than me as an individual who bought the guitar in good faith from an ebay listing as it happened !

I've had to resort to listing it as a mystery bass but don't know how long it will last until they pull it.

[attachment=90434:indie.jpg]

Edited by edstraker123

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1317316771' post='1389460']
Anybody know what the issue is with posting these on Ebay.
I appreciate Rickenbacker trying to protect their design but surely their argument is with Indie as a manufacturer rather than me as an individual who bought the guitar in good faith from an ebay listing as it happened !

I've had to resort to listing it as a mystery bass but don't know how long it will last until they pull it.

[attachment=90434:indie.jpg]
[/quote]
The Rickenfaker thread over in the ebay links forums has loads of similar tales from BCers and reports of pulled listings, most recently from Ash.

You're not breaking any UK laws, but Ebay is an American company and react to any violations of trademarks by pulling the auction. Or they can't be arsed to look into the legalities of the matter and pull it whenever they receive a Vero notification.

If you keep listing it, thinking up more ways to avoid it getting pulled, you might be lucky enough to receive a personal email from Jon Hall accusing you of dishonesty and deviousness. :) :) :)

As long as you don't mention 'Rickenbacker' or '4001/4003' etc in the auction text, you should be okay. Sell it as an Indie IRK, but mention certain bassplayers who've used a Rickenbacker - Lemmy, Paul McCartney, Bruce Foxton, Chris Squire etc.

Avoid using the term 'copy' - use 'styled after a famous bass used by...'. With a picture in the gallery (the thumbnail), when people search for basses, they'll see the shape and look at the auction.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1317318920' post='1389498']
As long as you don't mention 'Rickenbacker' or '4001/4003' etc in the auction text, you should be okay. Sell it as an Indie IRK, but mention certain bassplayers who've used a Rickenbacker - Lemmy, Paul McCartney, Bruce Foxton, Chris Squire etc.

Avoid using the term 'copy' - use 'styled after a famous bass used by...'. With a picture in the gallery (the thumbnail), when people search for basses, they'll see the shape and look at the auction.
[/quote]
You'd be surprised. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270-rickenfakers/page__view__findpost__p__1226763

It's a complete lottery whether an Rickenfaker auction will run to completion - some do and others don't, apparently regardless of the use of the 'R' word (though it's got to be said, your chances are better if you don't). Put your phone number or email in the text and encourage people to contact you, or at least keep it for future reference. That way if it gets pulled they'll know how to contact you. :)