Why become a member? ×

String Panic!!

PhilSpectone

Hi all - apologies if some of this has been covered before - I've looked down the threads. I thought that this covered a number of issues and therefore hope that folks don't mind - fact is I need some help and fast!

I've been playing DB for 3 years after 30 on a leccie and of course I'm deeply smitten. I have found myself in the enviable position of linking up with a wonderful young woman guitarist/singer/songwriter and a fabulous mandolin player and fiddler *( we play a kind of bluegrass/old time sound). Incredibly in a very short time we have found ourselves with a contract to start recording the first album in early October.

TBH I feel the weak link in this situation. I've worked hard with the playing over the last year and the gig involves a combination of straightforward bluegrass alt/bass, some long slidey pzz passages, slapping and some (please god) bowing. I have a ply bass and experimented with strings no end and now have a combination of Innovation Honeys (E) Steel core weedwacker (A) and kevlar corsed weedwhacker (D and G). Apart from the A being a bit dead I am 60% happy live where I get away with it pretty well -people are very complimentary where I'm probably helped by a fell circle and fishman pre-amp set up. However I've [i]dreading[/i] it in the studio, particularly in the arco sections. I've put the work in on the playing but I'm not confident with the sound - tbh in the arco bits it's pretty minging..

On a plus side I have had an enormous piece of luck a neighbour has given me her uncles 100 year old German bass which will go to the menders (anyone know of Godfrey Shepherd?) at end of the October - too late for recording (ARRGG!!!). Godfrey has told me that he thinks these strings are OK, but I think I've read bad things about them on this site or TB?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-BASS-NATURAL-GUT-CONTRABASS-STRINGS-SET-4-NEW-/400211535941?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item5d2e776845"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d2e776845[/url]

Question is - should I buy a set now which would give me a week to allow them to settle in before recording? Should I lump it? Should I switch to banjo?

Any words of encouragement, advice or comfort would be a big help..thanks

Phil

Arco sound:

Silly question, but[i] why[/i] is the sound poor?
Is it the acoustic sound that's poor, or just off the pickup?

If it's an acoustic issue, are you getting good grip from the bow on the string? If not, what state is your bow hair in? What rosin are you using? Is it sticky enough for your strings/setup? That's where I'd look first... If the bow hair is old, the rosin often won't "take" on it, in which case, only a re-hair (or new bow) will fix it.

If the issue is only with the sound from the pickup, don't worry, as you'll presumably be mic'd in the studio, meaning only the acoustic sound matters.

Hi
sounds familiar to me. I too only came to the bow relatively recently. However it's been the most important factor in my improvement. The bow is very unforgiving of dodgy tuning . And I'm sure you are well aware that intonation issues won't cut it in a studio. I had the unhappy experience of having to add a double bass line to an acoustic guitar track that was already down. The guitar wasn't in concert pitch . Although the music should have been easy I was really unhappy with the session so I resolved to go back to the drawing board. I got the bow out and did several grades (Vi-Viii) . 4- 5 years on I still practise every day with the bow . This really helped me with intonation. If you have doubts keep to the pizz. good luck and let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't help much as I'm a newbie myself also comuiing from electric bass. I can tell you that Godfrey is an absolute gent. He did a fine job on my "Hungarian". Fixed two major splits, a hole in the back, new bridge wire as well as setting it up so I can push the strings down with breaking a finger.
Say hi from me and good luck.
I take delivery of a bow and a little pot of Nymans this week.......*gulp*