Why become a member? ×

Help needed to identify and value a DB

mikeydee

Hi I have been asked to sell this DB for a friend of mine, who is not so plugged into the internet.

He bought it on offer for about £400 probably about ten years back. It has been well played for a while but in the past few years gathering dust and taking up room as he switched over to drums. As you can see it has some ding on it but it plays well as far as I can tell and has a Fishman pickup added for plugging into an amp or desk.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to identify the manufacturer and suggest a reasonable second hand value and best place to sell.

Many thanks
Mike

PS: Hopefully I have attached some images - not too sure

Is there any sort of label visible through the f-holes? Can you tell if the top is solid or laminate?

Without a label It's almost impossible to identify a maker just by looking at a DB and without knowing the maker, the only price you can put on it is what someone's willing to pay for it. TBH

As for where to sell, I'd start in the BD for sale forum here and see who bites. I might even be interested myself.....

Could be a Zeller but it's impossible to know without a label, as you've already heard.

Probably the best thing to do would be to put it on eBay, list all the important dimensions (body length, width, overall length, length from bridge to nut [this one is v. important], along with what note is under your second finger on the A string when your thumb is against the heel joint [could be D, Eb, few are E]) list it as local pickup only and see what you get. The more info you can provide the better.

With the pickup you will should get your £400 back, maybe a little bit more, assuming there's no other damage and you provide lots of good photos to demonstrate that. If you find that the bass has any body parts that aren't laminate you will get more money for it. If it is indeed a Zeller they tend to go for quite low figures IME but again with the pickup I don't think £400 would be unreasonable.

Edit: Also try to identify the strings. If they're decent strings and don't need replacing then that will improve the value of the bass by £50 or so.

Edited by thisnameistaken