Why become a member? ×

HARLEY BENTON EUB 500 BK ELECTRIC UPRIGHT

petercullenbassist

[quote name='petercullenbassist' post='1371546' date='Sep 13 2011, 10:34 AM']Hey guys, does anyone know what these are like? Seem alot cheaper than any other EUB.
Please let me know.

Cheers

pete XD[/quote]

Yes, I'd be interested to hear as I'm contemplating investing time, a little money, a lot of effort and inevitably, many blisters, in acquiring an EUB. Have so far had a go at the Stagg but of the two examples I've tried, one had paint chips and the other had an extraneous noise when I played the open A. :)

Shame really as the tone was quite acceptable. Also looked at the gear4music and that was much better, though pretty much the same kind of thing.

However, the Harley benton/Palatino looks much more the part, except for the strange tailpiece; but what I've read implies that there are modifications involving strips of rubber (ooerrr missus) :) etc. to be done to get anything worthwhile out of it.

Any opinions therefore gratefully received, and thanks.

It's the first one I borrowed and played, it was playable and a decent introduction to the world of electric uprights.

One problem was with the bridge producing strange and nasty sounding harmonics on certain notes (1st E on the A string) that was easily solved by wedging a jumper under the bridge, although a tennis ball or similar works fine, stays in place better and is a little neater. After that, it was ready to go and I recorded a few tracks with it. The rubber strip is another modification and I believe sits between the bridge and the pickup to produce a more DB sound but isn't essential.

In all, I'd recommend them for a beginner looking to try an EUB, especially if you can pick one up cheap.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1372240' date='Sep 13 2011, 06:12 PM']It's the first one I borrowed and played, it was playable and a decent introduction to the world of electric uprights.

One problem was with the bridge producing strange and nasty sounding harmonics on certain notes (1st E on the A string) that was easily solved by wedging a jumper under the bridge, although a tennis ball or similar works fine, stays in place better and is a little neater. After that, it was ready to go and I recorded a few tracks with it. The rubber strip is another modification and I believe sits between the bridge and the pickup to produce a more DB sound but isn't essential.

In all, I'd recommend them for a beginner looking to try an EUB, especially if you can pick one up cheap.[/quote]

Well, I'm not an absolute beginner as I had an acoustic double bass about 30 years ago, when I was young and foolish.....

Nowadays I play guitar, but I'd really like to try an EUB out without spending a fortune at this stage. So this looks like the way to go. But...Stagg or Harley Benton/Palatino (as the most common cheapo options)? And what about amplification?

[quote name='TheRev' post='1374652' date='Sep 15 2011, 04:48 PM']Any bass amp/combo will do. You don't have to worry about feedback with an EUB so you can use a 8x10 if you like.[/quote]

I had some feedback with the Harley Benton due to the large semi hollow body and the amp on the floor aiming straight at it, I don't think the Stagg will have the same problem due to the construction.

But yeah, any normal bass amp will do fine and th HB should meet your needs.