Why become a member? ×

A work in progress

BottomEndian

I've posted this elsewhere, and nobody's hated it yet, so I thought I'd bring it over here too. :) It's a fairly rough recording of a work-in-progress, and not the usual bass fare:

[url="http://soundcloud.com/bottomendian/aurora-solo-bass"]http://soundcloud.com/bottomendian/aurora-solo-bass[/url]

It's definitely an accompaniment rather than a solo piece per se, and that particular arrangement is geared towards a vocal over the top (it's gone off to a singer/songwriter friend to see what she can come up with), so there's a long intro and some interlude-gaps between the "chorus" and "verse" sections.

It's played on my ACG Graft Recurve fretted 4-string, with the John East 2-band pre completely flat (IIRC). Strings are the D'Addario piccolo set (20-52).

That recording's mainly one full take, with some short bits from the previous take, and a few odds and ends comped from other takes (did six in total; the first two were just awful and the last two were the ones that came close enough to make the cut). If anyone's interested in the processing and effects... I can't remember. :) But I can take a look if anyone cares. (Definitely some EQ and multiband compression going on.)

(And yes, it's rough and rattly on the bottom string. Haven't set up the Graft properly for the piccolo set, y'see. )

All feedback and opinions gratefully received.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1365111' date='Sep 7 2011, 11:45 AM']That's really nice. I can imagine it being the basis for a [i]Sigur Ros[/i] type piece. Be interesting to see where this ends up.[/quote]
Cheers. It originally had a drum-machine-type loop knocking away in the background, but I muted it to do the comping of the takes... and when I unmuted it, it really grated. So I left it off again.

I have a few ideas for development, but I'll see what happens vocal-wise first. It might need nothing else.