Why become a member? ×

Too much hiss from my DI

MarshallBTB

Anyone else find the DI on the Hartke VXL too hissy? Used it for the first time last night, and there as far too much hiss from the DI, ended up ditching it. Annoying as I was using it as a Preamp into a power amp, with a Pod X3 live in front for effects. Ended up using one of my patches on the Pod which sound ok, but I prefer a seperate preamp as its easier to tweak last minute.
Any thoughts? Im thinking of just getting a head and losing the pre/power amp set up...

[quote name='MarshallBTB' post='1362849' date='Sep 5 2011, 01:37 PM']Anyone else find the DI on the Hartke VXL too hissy? Used it for the first time last night, and there as far too much hiss from the DI, ended up ditching it. Annoying as I was using it as a Preamp into a power amp, with a Pod X3 live in front for effects. Ended up using one of my patches on the Pod which sound ok, but I prefer a seperate preamp as its easier to tweak last minute.
Any thoughts? Im thinking of just getting a head and losing the pre/power amp set up...[/quote]

How about getting pedal type preamp instead of the pod... I like the sansamp, but there are lots out there and then you can DI out of that then into your amp, if you're borrowing gear, then you can still get 'your' sound

Overall getting a head is better, but the sansamp approach really makes life easy. I take my sansamp around when I can't be bothered with taking my head or I'm not sure about the gear I'm using for the gig. Also they record well

[quote name='algmusic' post='1362857' date='Sep 5 2011, 01:50 PM']How about getting pedal type preamp instead of the pod... I like the sansamp, but there are lots out there and then you can DI out of that then into your amp, if you're borrowing gear, then you can still get 'your' sound

Overall getting a head is better, but the sansamp approach really makes life easy. I take my sansamp around when I can't be bothered with taking my head or I'm not sure about the gear I'm using for the gig. Also they record well[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
The Hartke is a pedal type preamp. I was using a Behringer but thought I'd try something else and through my power amp and cab it sounds great, its just the DI. I tried switching the ground/lifts and putting it behind the Pod but got the same problem. I want to keep the pod as I love the dual tone feature for my overdrive, and the fact I can have a clean preset, then 3 different 'crunch presets'. Plus it has all the effects I might want, I just find the amp/cab sims a bit crap used live.
Hope this makes sense!

[quote name='MarshallBTB' post='1363129' date='Sep 5 2011, 05:30 PM']Thanks for the reply.
The Hartke is a pedal type preamp. I was using a Behringer but thought I'd try something else and through my power amp and cab it sounds great, its just the DI. I tried switching the ground/lifts and putting it behind the Pod but got the same problem. I want to keep the pod as I love the dual tone feature for my overdrive, and the fact I can have a clean preset, then 3 different 'crunch presets'. Plus it has all the effects I might want, I just find the amp/cab sims a bit crap used live.
Hope this makes sense![/quote]

Try using the DI clean, it could be the effects. I sometimes cheaper effects can cause hiss. The ground lift would have sorted the problem if it was a buzz or hum. Unless this is the first time you have DI'd it's definately the hartke. You could try some different lead.. The short of this is if it's definatley the hartke, use a different pre
Amp. Maybe you have too many pedals, as the pod should really give you pre amp part, but just needs more tweaking. I know some people who just use that.. Not my taste, but what works for you