Why become a member? ×

Pickup Choice

Stroopy121

I'm after something similar to a MM pickup although not necessarily trying to replicate MM tone. I'm currently thinking EMG is going to be the best bet through a John East pre. Also thinking about using an EMG P-pup in the middle and adding a series/parallel switch in. Hoping to be able to get a nice grinding RAWK crunch out of it but be able to scale it back to a smoother (but still ballsy) bluesy tone if need be.

Any thoughts on a better choice than the EMGs? I've seen a few on ebay for decent prices but some can be pretty damn pricey - not sure if seymour duncans could be a more cost-effective choice?

And the pre - any suggestions to look up other than John East? From what I'm seeing JE is the be-all-and-end-all but I'd like to see more options to look at?

xx

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1354684' date='Aug 28 2011, 07:49 PM']Your post is a little confusing. What bass is this going in?[/quote]

Sorry, it was late - It's for a 'from scratch' project. Humbucker at the bridge and a split coil in the middle is the style I'm after after falling in love with the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t86953.html"]PingRay[/url].

Any clearer now?

xx

You know, in the back of my mind I knew you were talking about my Pingray. :)

All I can say is that the Delanos I'm using are astounding and I'm very happy with the SD pre - although oddly I just keep it set in a fixed position and use the pup blend to find the tone I'm after.
The other bass I have that produces a fantastic "rawk" tone has J Fralins and an OBP-3 <- highly recommended combo.