Why become a member? ×

Help choosing an amp?

ironderby

Hey, im thinking about getting the Ashdown Mag c210 (2x10) 300w Combo. I've seen great reviews, that in can pull its weight in small gigs. Im about to start gigging with my band in small venues, is this amp enough to play an Un-mic'd gig? (metal, 2 guitarists) no theoretical stuff please. Solid opinions on owners/users whether this is good for gigs. And if not, what can you recommend for £400?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1344756' date='Aug 18 2011, 07:46 PM']I'm not a big fan of Ashdown anyway but I doubt a 2x10 of any brand would easily compete with 2 guitarists in a metal band with no PA support. You should check out 2x12s, they'll have a bit more oomph without a huge price tag.[/quote]

I had one of these and used it for a number of years on lots of gigs...I found it very surprisingly loud considering it only packs 260W in real terms. You could always look at a MAG115 to go with it...they're fairly reasonably priced.

The MAG gear is decent value and pretty well built in my opinion - it just lacks a little of the finesse and real thick bottom of some higher end gear. It served me very well in small venues for about 3yrs.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

I've played in metal bands for a long time, I've been through 1x15... 2x10... 4x10... 6x10... and a Barefaced 2x12. Unless you can afford the barefaced I would strongly recommend a 4x10 at least or at least two 2x10s.. or a 2x10 and 1x15. Otherwise you'll find you're being drowned out

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1344756' date='Aug 18 2011, 07:46 PM']I'm not a big fan of Ashdown anyway but I doubt a 2x10 of any brand would easily compete with 2 guitarists in a metal band with no PA support. You should check out 2x12s, they'll have a bit more oomph without a huge price tag.[/quote]

This coupled with the fast the most 2x10 combos lay horizontal.

Depends on what the other guitarists are using, I seriously doubt even a good 2x10 would be much use without a PA against 2 guitar half stacks.

Better option is a 2x12 stacked vertically or a very good 1x15. I've used a Fender100 1x15 combo on huge stage in a Giant theatre hall, without a PA and it did fairly well. Cheaper than chips aswell.