Why become a member? ×

Volume drop with tone control

Tait

Hi everyone,

So I swapped the pickup on my Dad's '51 RI Precision for one of the Seymour Duncan Bassline SCPB pickups. The way it was wired before didn't really resemble the wiring diagram given by Seymour Duncan, so I simply replaced the black and white wires from the original pickup with the black and white wires from the new pickup. Now, for some reason I can't quite figure out, when the tone is rolled off there's a fairly large volume drop.

Any ideas? If anyone needs any more information just ask!

Thanks,
Luke.

Show us how you've wired it with a picture can you?

The only thing I can think of is that the centre tab of the tone pot, where the capacitor is connected - is also shorted to earth - ie: the pot body.

Do you have a multimeter?

Cheerz, John

Ok, just for a bit more information, this is Seymour Duncan's wiring diagram.

[attachment=87282:Original_Wiring.png]

Here's how the bass is wired as I type, and I'm pretty sure that's how it was originally wired. I don't think I've changed anything!

[attachment=87283:Changed_Wiring.jpg]

Sorry that it's been done quickly on paint, but you get the gist. Also, the capacitor in the bass says 1H (no idea what that means) then 104K, which if I remember my AS level Electronics right means it's 0.1 microFarads, rather than the 0.5 on the diagram. Also the pin on the left of the tone pot has been bent back and soldered onto the pot itself, like the one on the right of the volume pot.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1343258' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:26 PM']Show us how you've wired it with a picture can you?

The only thing I can think of is that the centre tab of the tone pot, where the capacitor is connected - is also shorted to earth - ie: the pot body.

Do you have a multimeter?

Cheerz, John[/quote]

Wiring diagrams added :)

It doesn't look the the centre tab has been shorted, it's not making any contact with the pot body. It could be to do with the way the capacitor is wired to the volume pot though maybe?

And I doubt we have a multimeter, I can check with my Dad when we get home, but neither of my parents know much about electronics, and they're not likely to do any themselves, so I doubt it.

[quote name='Tait' post='1343269' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:35 PM']Ok, just for a bit more information, this is Seymour Duncan's wiring diagram.

[attachment=87282:Original_Wiring.png]

Here's how the bass is wired as I type, and I'm pretty sure that's how it was originally wired. I don't think I've changed anything!

[attachment=87283:Changed_Wiring.jpg]

Sorry that it's been done quickly on paint, but you get the gist. Also, the capacitor in the bass says 1H (no idea what that means) then 104K, which if I remember my AS level Electronics right means it's 0.1 microFarads, rather than the 0.5 on the diagram. Also the pin on the left of the tone pot has been bent back and soldered onto the pot itself, like the one on the right of the volume pot.[/quote]
Top - standard diagram is correct - 2nd, how you've got it is wrong. The l/h tag of the tone pot shouldn't be soldered to the body, neither should the r/h. Rewire following the top circuit & it'll be fine!

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1343275' date='Aug 17 2011, 03:38 PM']Top - standard diagram is correct - 2nd, how you've got it is wrong. The l/h tag of the tone pot shouldn't be soldered to the body, neither should the r/h. Rewire following the top circuit & it'll be fine![/quote]

I wonder why it was originally wired like that then? I mean, I may have accidentally done a wire wrong, but it's not like I can accidentally bend a pin on the pot and solder it to the body! Surely there must be a way to do it without changing too much, it worked before!

• 2 weeks later...