Why become a member? ×

Original Hawkes 'Concert' model labelled 1925 - SOLD

[b]BASS SOLD![/b]

For sale is my Hawkes 'Concert' model double bass labelled 1925. It is with much deliberation that I have decided to sell this highly sought after instrument, but I'm needing to upgrade and can't justify having this as a second bass.

With original varnish (making it more valuable) it is in very good condition for the age. The table and back are excellent with no nasty repairs/cracks but it has a few war wounds to the ribs which is typical of a workhorse of this age. The bass was restored and fitted with a C extension in 2007 by Malcolm Healey and has also subsequently been worked on by Roger Dawson (bridge/setup). It currently has Evahs GDA and a permanent 'room rattling' bottom C.

Anyone who knows these instruments knows that they are LOUD! I have played this particular instrument with the Royal Philharmonic Orch, the Brighton Phil and New London Sinfonia and it is a beastial orchestral bass. Jazzers will also not be disappointed as the pizz is huge!

LOB (length of back) - 111.5cm (43.80in)
Width across upper bouts - 56.9cm (22.40in)
Width across middle bouts - 40.6cm (15.95in)
Width across lower bouts - 68.2cm (26.85in)
Depth of lower ribs inc both plates- 23.2cm (9.16in)
Body Stop - 60.7cm (23.85in)
String length - 105.8cm (41.65in)

From an investment point of view, this bass model cost around £22 back in 1925 and The Contrabasse Shoppe currently has the same (albeit in better condition) for sale at £25,000.

I am pricing this to sell at £15,000. It is currently residing at Thwaites and please ring Bill for a viewing.

Do please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Cheers!

Edited by Damo200

• 3 months later...

Yes, sorry, it was sold about two months ago. I completely forgot about this thread...

I know Bill at Thwaites has another one going for around £15K. And theres some very tasty basses currently on [url="http://www.musicalchairs.info"]www.musicalchairs.info[/url]