Why become a member? ×

Volume Issues

fragility

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice with an issue I'm having...

Essentially, I tend to do my home practice through my PC...so that's:

Bass > Bass POD XT > M-Audio Delta 44

Now, I've recently moved to a different PC, from one with an Audiophile 2496. I have 2 basses, and Ibanez DWB3 and Ibanez SR905. Since moving to the new soundcard, I'm finding I can hardly hear the SR905 at all, and to do so I have to turn everything way up on the bass/POD, which looses all tone and is still registering as high input on the soundcard, causing some distortion (and it's still not that loud). So when I'm playing with guitar at the same time it's completely inaudible.

However, I think that the DWB3 has a very high level of output (at least it's always seemed to when I have had the opportunity to play it with another bass through the same amp) and although this isn't quite as loud as I like in comparison to the guitar, it's useable. Given that this is the case, it would suggest to me that it's a problem with the soundcard rather than the SR905.

I know this is pretty vague, but does anyone have any ideas how I can get around this...I'm getting to the end of my tether with it as I'm barely practicing as a result.

Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest!

Hi,

In the M-Audio control panel - under Hardware Settings select -10dBV for the input/s you're using.

Although the Delta44 is line input level only, there's quite a difference between +4 and -10, and I find it's adequate with a bit of gain from a Behringer BDI21 - you should be OK with a POD

You might find that either/both Ibanezes have internal gain controls to play with too - I used to have a DWB3 but can't remember for sure now... (though more gain will obviously lead to shorter battery life.)