Why become a member? ×

string colours

chrisd24

I have some strings on a bass i bought and i really like the strings but have no idea what they are, they have a blue silk at the head end and a red silk at the ball end.....this is a pretty distinct characteristic so someone must know what they are!

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1317831' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:58 PM']fret buzz on a fretless?![/quote]

This made me chuckle :)

I'm not the best player in the world, but even I would struggle to do that!

I went fretless to get rid of the buzz.......

Still, when the neck was out, you couldn't play it past the 7th [s]fret[/s] er position :)

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1317836' date='Jul 27 2011, 12:04 AM']This made me chuckle :lol:

I'm not the best player in the world, but even I would struggle to do that!

I went fretless to get rid of the buzz.......

Still, when the neck was out, you couldn't play it past the 7th [s]fret[/s] er position :)[/quote]

Ha! i recently acquired a fretless myself,its lined but even with the markers i make it look hard,which im pretty sure is a bad thing :)

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1317848' date='Jul 27 2011, 12:22 AM']I think when I first got it I made the mistake of trying to play really intricate fretless parts and failing,but now I have realised probably the best thing to do is to play it like a normal bass first just to get used to the (weird) thing![/quote]

Exactly :) If you stick with root / fifth / octave with the odd run as you would a fretted, they sound really good!

I practice with a tuner to get my ear trained.

(sorry this has hijacked your string thread with a fretless discussion!)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1317850' date='Jul 27 2011, 12:25 AM']Exactly :) If you stick with root / fifth / octave with the odd run as you would a fretted, they sound really good!

I practice with a tuner to get my ear trained.

(sorry this has hijacked your string thread with a fretless discussion!)[/quote]
Not at all,mystery over as far as the strings go but I'm still terrible on fretless! Are there any novice/intermediate pieces you would recommend to get me warmed up and help with intonation?

For novice I bought this book: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Fretless-Bass-Workouts-Qwikguide/dp/0786671726"]100 Fretless Bass Workouts[/url]

It has notation and tab. The CD helps with intonation.

After that, it's down to preference.

I just started gigging with it and you get better quite quickly because it matters!