Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass: cheap but decent Harley Benton (fretted 4 string)

RichardH

I bought this from a fellow BC-er a while ago, and it's been a godsend. The experiment has been a success, and so I'm considering getting a nicer acoustic, so this one's up for grabs.

34" scale, bound body in black with lower cutaway. Fairly shallow neck profile and about jazz width at the nut.

Currently has Tomastik TI Jazz Flats on it, which sound fantastic when plugged in, but possibly reduce the volume when "unplugged" over a zingy roundwound. New bone nut fitted, and a low action. Well finished bass, bar a couple of tiny
dings on the headstock, and a slight finish blemish at the nut end of the neck where the fretboard is bonded to the neck - but it's rock solid - been like that since I've owned the bass.

I've added a second strap button at the heel of the neck so it can be played standing.

Comes with a decent padded gigbag.

I'm happy enough to keep the TI flats if they're not your cup of tea, so shall we say £75 without the strings, £90 with, including the gigbag. Delivery will be at cost, under £15 I would guess.

Edited by RichardH

• 5 weeks later...

Bump for this as it used to be mine.

Glad to hear you got some good use out of it Richard, and that you stuck those flats on it as you planned... I imagine it'd sound pretty damn woody, as it even sounded pretty fat on rounds! :huh:

Anyways, I've still got hi-rez photos of it if anyone wants them :)

Sorry for the delay in replying!

I'll take some pics in the morning. I'm in East Herts (near Hertford) - so not that near to Devon, I'm afraid!

Thanks for the bump, Ron - yes, it sounds like the voice of God through the PA on the acoustic nights I've played with it. To be honest if I hadn't got GAS for a whizzy exotic wood Ibanez acoustic, I'd be keeping this.

Here's some pics.

I should say that I've had a PM from a likely buyer, so they have first dibs.

Must admit I'm having second thoughts about selling, as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

Bone nut

You can just see the glitch along the join between fretboard and neck.

Action currently nice and low with the TI flats

Couple of marks on the back - I haven't tried, but I'm sure these would buff out (just had a look - the photo makes them looks worse than they are - they're surface only)

Couple of tiny dings in the back of the headstock

Edited by RichardH

hi , i bought a harley benton accoustic bass model hbb30nt, and for the money its amazing, i dont know if this is the same model, but before i bought this i tried ibanez(crap) crafter(worse) takamine(good) i tried a taylor £1200 quid,but accoustically i couldnt hear much difference, i know theyre better made and better pre amp etc,but doing an a-b test on all the abg,guitars i could find, for the money the loudest biggest able to compete bass i could find was the harley benton.
just my oppinion ,but do not go by what it says on the headstalk, just use your hands, ears, and i dont need to wrap it in cotton wool as it didnt cost £1200. jimmy.