Why become a member? ×

String advice

Hello folks. I've been bought a 3/4 upright bass as a present. I love it - sounds fantastic. Only problem is, it's sooo much more demanding on the fingers. Any recommendations for a nice easy string to play jazz? Also, what would be considered a low action?

Thanks,

Isaac.

Edited by WishICouldWalk

Good stuff, welcome to the wonderful world of DB :)

There are some good low tension strings out there, Innovation make a variety, Velvet do some but can be pricey, Presto lights which are synthetic strings. Maybe Spiro lights if you want to use steel strings. Depends on the tone you're after and pickup choice if you use one.

Might be worth finding a DB teacher and get a few lessons. This will help you get a sound fondation for your technique and help limit injury.

Try a search in the DB here section or look through the topic titles and you should be able to find out what string for what tone you're after. Also, Talkbass has an extensive DB section that's worth a looksie.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='1308824' date='Jul 19 2011, 09:33 AM']Good stuff, welcome to the wonderful world of DB :)

There are some good low tension strings out there, Innovation make a variety, Velvet do some but can be pricey, Presto lights which are synthetic strings. Maybe Spiro lights if you want to use steel strings. Depends on the tone you're after and pickup choice if you use one.

Might be worth finding a DB teacher and get a few lessons. This will help you get a sound fondation for your technique and help limit injury.

Try a search in the DB here section or look through the topic titles and you should be able to find out what string for what tone you're after. Also, Talkbass has an extensive DB section that's worth a looksie.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I've booked a lesson and hopefully the teacher can give me some advice. At present I can barely get round a chorus of rhythm changes without my forearm getting too fatigued to continue!