Why become a member? ×

Tips for that slides/hammer ons/pull-offs kinda style

I was listening to a couple of tracks the other day (I'll spare you with what) and there was some really wandery bass that I liked. It was easy enough to spot the notes - minor pentatonic noodling - but what stumped be was the style. Very laid back with lots of slides and/or hammer-ons and/or pull-offs. I was really struggling to get into it as, I suppose, I only ever really play one note at a time rock stuff.

I know this is a properly vague question - but any tips or recommendations for getting into this type of stuff and upping my technique a bit.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1307142' date='Jul 17 2011, 03:07 PM']Sorry! :)
I'm sure someone with a few [i]useful[/i] tips on technique will be along shortly...[/quote]

I actually thought it really [i]was[/i] a pretty genius idea. I wasn't sure that thepurpleblob was being sarcastic by calling it that either. Er, were you being facetious Adrenochrome? Maybe I should just have a little more coffee early before posting on BassChat :)

But really, I do think this is a great idea. You'll focus more on the slide/hammer/pull-off techniques and it will also probably help you keep things more mellow and laid back.

Plus, if you get really good at playing with your fret-hand only, you're halfway to having really good double-tapping technique.

Edited by XylemBassGuitar

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' post='1312899' date='Jul 22 2011, 04:03 PM']I actually thought it really [i]was[/i] a pretty genius idea. I wasn't sure that thepurpleblob was being sarcastic by calling it that either. Er, were you being facetious Adrenochrome? Maybe I should just have a little more coffee early before posting on BassChat :)

But really, I do think this is a great idea. You'll focus more on the slide/hammer/pull-off techniques and it will also probably help you keep things more mellow and laid back.

Plus, if you get really good at playing with your fret-hand only, you're halfway to having really good double-tapping technique.[/quote]

I did think it was inspired. I've no interest in double tapping mind you :)

[quote name='leeonbass69' post='1316553' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:14 AM']I'd give anything by Niacin a whirl, there's no singer or guitar so it's a little easier to hear into the recording :lol:[/quote]

Not heard of them/him/her/it but I will go and investigate - thanks for the tip :)

EDIT:
Oh - That Sheehan dude showing off :) Not really what I meant but cheers.

Edited by thepurpleblob