Why become a member? ×

epoxy tips and tricks please

cycrowave

Hi guys, im in the process of doing an epoxy finish on a neck I defretted. Its all gone fairly well so far, Iv applied 2 coats and its settled nice and level. The only real issue i have is that there are tiny bubbles in the surface of the finish. So far I have just been applying the epoxy with a foam brush and letting it self level, but I have read that its a good idea to go back after 30 mins and remove the excess with a squegee/credit card. would this help remove the bubbles, or is it something atmouspheric thats causing them?

Thanks in advance for any input on this, im also interested to hear what people do once they have achieved a final coat they are satisfied with. sand with very fine paper or just leave it as is?

cheers

cycro

Edited by cycrowave

Hi cycro. When we use to do epoxy jobs on fretboards at KGB Music, we use to mix the epoxy, usually West Systems, in a glass beaker with a glass rod. Then it was a case of dribbling it off the end of the glass rod over the fretboard and pushing it around the board with the flat of the rod. Everything except the fretboard was fully masked.

Using a brush introduces air bubles, just like when you use a roller to decorate with.

You have to then sand it to the desireed radius of the board and go through the grades until you can polish it to a shine. Keep checking with a straight edge for bumps and use a radius gauge.

Edited by steve-soar

hi steve, thanks for your input. so far its been a great learning process, i'v been using foam brushes to keep bubbles to a minimum but i may well try dribbling it on like honey like you advise. im finding that it self levels pretty well, but i guess i'll need to invest in a radius block and guage to do the job properly. ill post some pics when im happy with it

cheers

think I had a bit of a breakthrough. this time i just poured it on, then levelled with the end of a brush. so far its looking bubble free, but i may have piled it on a bit thick! (the nut slot is currently submerged) chemicals like this just arent safe with people like me...