Why become a member? ×

Desperate Din

ShergoldSnickers

No overdubs, no editing, warts and all. All completely improvised, but try not to let that put you off. Then again, you might have your worst fears realised. ;) :huh:

After flogging Garageband to death with multitrack overdubs, I thought live recording everything the band does in 'rehearsals' would make a nice change. The results are here on a web page in the process of being finished. Music links at the bottom of the page.
[url="http://web.mac.com/ianhalstead/Desperate_Din/"]The songs can be found here[/url]

The ones I like best are Sandwich Spread, our signature 'tune', and Recent Lie. It's all a bit of fun, we don't take ourselves too seriously, so feel free to criticise as much as you want, we won't be bothered.

All recorded directly to a Korg D888 digital 8 track.

Drums - stereo condenser overhead (Rode NT4), kick drum mic (AKG D112), and a CAD m179 condenser for a touch of extra snare and hi-hat.
Guitar - SM58. Sounds like there are overdubs, but it's all loop station.
Bass - direct signal plus bleed from the other mics! Those Wizard pickups have transformed the sound of the Marathon bass.

I've left as much as possible uncompressed - overcompression is one of my pet hates. The drums are completely uncompressed, so when they really get whacked you know about it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey snicks!

Loved abokey dokey, a mish of styles but it really works. I've got that saved. And the tone of your Marathon on Recent Lie is.. to.. die. for.

Will listen to monkey notes tomorrow. It's a big file and my intranerts playing up.

Your music certainly sorts mice from men :) .

[quote name='paul, the' post='157146' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:39 AM']Hey snicks!

Loved abokey dokey, a mish of styles but it really works. I've got that saved. And the tone of your Marathon on Recent Lie is.. to.. die. for.

Will listen to monkey notes tomorrow. It's a big file and my intranerts playing up.

Your music certainly sorts mice from men :) .[/quote]
I think Monkey Notes might go on for about 19 minutes. I know one of the ones we've done recently does. ;) . Much obliged that you've taken the time to listen to any of it :huh: . Cheers, paul, the - a gentleman indeed.

Snicks.

• 4 weeks later...

We've added a keyboard player and [url="http://web.mac.com/ianhalstead/Desperate_Din/"]I've added some more recordings...[/url]

The new ones are from 'Sports Desk' and below.

This rehearsal was a real mixed bag - my playing was generally off, the drummer kept losing the feed for his in-lug monitoring, and we were trying out a new keyboard player. Some strong musical ideas came from it - just badly played! Worth it for the catalogue of mistakes alone. :)

The last few minutes of Sports Desk, Cleanse The Lobes and parts of Vimto Socks are the strongest. The rest? The pointless meanderings of madmen again I'm afraid. :huh:

Used a GarageBand chorus setting on a couple of em, and now I'm getting the urge to look at multi-effects. Oh cock. More expense.