geilerbass

[size=4]****SOLD****[/size]

For sale is my Ibanez SR1016 6-string.

Specs: -

Body: Mahogany (Stained-oil finish)
Neck: 5-piece Wenge/Bubinga
Fretboard: Rosewood (abalone inlays)
Pickups: Ibanez DXP
Controls: High boost/cut, Low boost/cut, Vari-mid parametric mid-range, volume, pickup blend
Bridge: Single-piece die-cast
Scale:34"
String-spacing: 16.5mm

This bass showcases the skilled workmanship of the Fujigen Gakki factory in Japan that now only make Prestige range instruments for Ibanez. Back in the 90s Ibanez still had their high-end, non-Prestige models made there and this is one of them. The serial number (F98xxx) indicates it was made in 1998 and old catalogues (see [url="http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1998/index.htm"]Ibanez Catalogue 1998[/url]) show it was the next model down from the top-end Prestige range.

As you can see from the pictures, this is a classic example of the slick contours that are the trademark of the Soundgear family of basses, very similar to the popular SR506. It has a slim, slender neck that plays as well as any bass I've tried and even makes 6-strings easy to navigate. With a small mahogany body, the bass is incredibly light, particularly for a 6-string. Anyone who has played an SR506 will be familiar with this kind of feel, though for me, the fit and finish of this instrument is noticeably superior to the more recent SR mid-range instruments.

The pickups are Ibanez DXPs, which I find give a mellower and clearer tone than the branded Bartolini MK pickups that are standard on the SR5xx's. The other feature that sets it apart from those bases is the vari-mid parametric mid-range control. This was only generally found on the K5 and Prestige models and offers a huge range of different sounds, with a fully sweep-able mid frequency control and cut/boost in a single stacked control knob. The controls can be quite sensitive and I've found that subtle adjustments can often make a big difference to the sound.

The pictures show that the bass is in very good nick - the body has the odd very minor ding - something that's difficult to avoid with stained-oil bodies. Apart from that, I've had no issues with this bass. As far as I know, it had only one careful owner before me (our very own delberthot), who should be able to vouch for the quality of this instrument.

My reason for selling is that I just don't have any need for a 6-string anymore and really need to replace it with another 5-string. My main bass is an Ibanez SR20th 5, which is virtually the same instrument, just with different pickups and a few other fancy extras.

I'll stress again that this is rare instrument - I've not seen another one on sale anywhere, either over here or on Talkbass - and is a level above the comparable SR5xx range.

I'm looking for about £500 for it (I believe these retailed a bit over a grand new), but would consider trades for 5-strings - let me know what you've got.

I'm based in London, but without my own car, it would be difficult to deliver so I can only offer either collection, a meet-up within access of public transport or courier - for the latter, I'm not sure how much that would be, but can find out if required.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for reading!

[attachment=84185:BodyClose.jpg][attachment=84183:BodyBack.jpg][attachment=84186:FullBody.jpg]
[attachment=84184:BodyUp.jpg][attachment=84188:Head02.jpg][attachment=84187:Head01.jpg]
[attachment=84189:Serial.jpg]

Edited by geilerbass

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='1296886' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:17 AM']I have a maple Ibanez SR905 plus cash your way ?[/quote]

Thanks for the interest. Ideally, if it's an Ibanez, I'd be looking for something like an SR3005, 4005 or 5005. That said, I'll consider it as I know the SR905's are great instruments and it could be useful as a back-up to my SR20th.

Also, I've just seen a couple of basses in the For Sale section here that are very tempting, so I'll see if there's any interest in a straight purchase.

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='1310775' date='Jul 20 2011, 08:12 PM']I've still got my SR905 :)[/quote]

Still considering it... :)

I'm keen on the idea of a 5-string Jazz bass of some description (I like the idea of a CIJ/MIJ), therefore I think I'll probably need to sell this on to put towards that - unless there's anyone out there with one to trade, who's looking for a 6-string?