Why become a member? ×

Gig Pitfalls

Ian2k

Myself and our two guitarists/vocalists did our first mini-gig at a jam session at one of the local pubs on Monday. The drummer who was there to jam didn't know our stuff but performed admirably (especially considering we come to a dead stop in the middle of one of our songs, only to start again at a faster tempo. Anyway, we'd been down to the pub to check things out previously, and all seemed good, with a 16 track mixer with someone permanently at the controls. All was looking good.

Pitfall 1. I had my first worry when I was shown where to plug in and the tech was fiddling with the bass amp settings - the bass wasn't going through the desk, so wasn't coming through the monitors. Result, I could hear my bass, and the drums, and little bits of guitar now and again, and pretty much only could hear the vocals if I stood right by the singer and could hear him acoustically (just!).

Pitfall 2. I guess this is a common one, adrenaline/nerves/drink got the better of one of the guitarists and he counted in a song much faster than we'd ever played it, and it was of course the one with the most complicated bass line ...

Pitfall 3. I'd not gigged with this particular bass before (Hohner "The Jack"). It has a light coloured neck, with darker fret dots along the edge (I use the edge fret markers, not the fretboard ones). We launch into our first number and I glance down, and the combination of lights (or lack of them in my dark corner) meant that the fret marker dots had effectively vanished!

Pitfall 4. Well nearly, I trod on my lead as I moved, pulling on it, but thankfully I was prepared for that one and had it running between strap and body, so disaster averted. (One of the guitarists doesn't do this - I think it's only a matter of time).

That all being said it was a fun gig, we went down well, and didn't stuff up too much, despite the pitfalls.

What experiences have you had, as a warning to others?!

Our guitarist fell off the stage during a gig once, after consuming a bottle of Jack Daniels all by himself beforehand!. :)
The Hohner Jack is a good bass, I had one a few years ago, after headless basses went out of fashion!

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1286901' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:13 PM']Our guitarist fell off the stage during a gig once, after consuming a bottle of Jack Daniels all by himself beforehand!. :)
The Hohner Jack is a good bass, I had one a few years ago, after headless basses went out of fashion![/quote]

I had a Hohner Jack, sorry I sold it. I'd buy a 5 string version if one ever came along.