Why become a member? ×

Recording Tips?

Mugz.wood

Hi i've recently recorded a demo with the band im in, it was all recorded and mastered at my mates house, it was fun and we got some alright results. i was just wondering what advice , tip & tricks u guys have to offer on recording all aspects of bass technique but in particular slap bass?

when we were recording a track with slap bass we taped a small mic up to the bass right next to the string to get all the taping sounds and mixed it in with the pick up recoding it worked nicely i think, has anyone tried similar stuff?

strings for slap bass? ive found a load of people recommending gs boomers so i got sum and they sucked the g string snapped twice in one week and the rest of the string lost their twang in that week, so went back to the rotosound they are so much better these have lasted about 3 weeks still have a bit of twang and the g still hasn't broken.

do u practice to a click track?

that do u do when ur drummer cant play to a click track?

what effects do u find help full?

I heard that you can record a track at home and then just pay the professionals to get it mastered has anyone ever done this how did it turn out?

thanks ive been looking through bass chat and haven't been able to find anything on recording bass if there is please link me up.

P.s there are enough discussions on peoples opinions on slap bass this doesn't need to be another one

thank you

Edited by Mugz.wood

Get it mastered elsewhere if you are serious.

A really top mastering engineer may send it back if the mix is gash, with some suggestions as to how to improve it.

A good mastering engineer will get more out of it than you can imagine, and have the kit, experience and ears to make it better than you could imagine.

[quote name='Mugz.wood' post='1267415' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:32 PM']ok cool do u know of any good mastering engineers? how much do they cost usually? and when u say the mix is gash do u mean if the recordings nasty ot if u dont leave enough head room?
thanks[/quote]

Try the legendary [url="http://www.skyemastering.com/index.html"]Denis Blackham[/url] - you won't get much better...

Good mastering engineers cost a fair chunk of change, look at least £250 for a 60 minute album.

More for CD pressing and artwork, glass master yada yada yada....

A gash mix is a gash mix, its crap, it could be levels, compression, eq, stereo field, anything....

[url="http://www.wesonator.co.uk/"]Wes Maebe[/url] is no mean mastering engineer.

[quote name='Mugz.wood' post='1267449' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:55 PM']thanks 99ster have u used him can u link me up any of your tracks he's mastered?[/quote]

He's been doing it since 1969 - [url="http://www.skyemastering.com/pastmasters.htm"]just some of the thousands[/url] - and he's recommended & used by Phill Brown (of the greatest engineers ever) which is enough for me...