Why become a member? ×

Best way of insuring a bass?

kiat

Join the MU - £2k of instrument insurance for free, plus you get £10 million of PLI which [u]everyone[/u] performing live should have.

The MU insurance is ok for what I take out of the house generally and my house insurance covers everything while at home (I have my stuff named on the policy) at no extra cost.

I guess the £2k limit might be an issue to some of you high-end bass owners but I think you can pay the MU insurer for a top-up if it isn't enough.

Loads of other reasons for joining the MU of course, free template contracts and legal advice for example...

ficelles

I put together a spreadsheet of all the gear I have with serial numbers for insurance purposes. I was shocked to find out I take £5k's worth of stuff to a gig and have over £7k at home. I thought it was only about £2-£3k.

I have since vastly decreased my "gig kit", logged the lot list with the insurance company and have already moved some kit on.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1263085' date='Jun 9 2011, 07:05 PM']Any ideas how much it is to join? Although as you say unless it's reasonable to add to the limit I would struggle with a choice of one bass or the amp :)[/quote]

MU basic level membership (earnings from music under £5k pa I think) is £13 pcm billed quarterly... you get quarterly glossy mags and lots of online stuff, plus the guy who wrote Turning Japanese is the legal adviser I believe which is seriously cool imho. Oh and the free insurance... I joined a long time back just for the PLI after it being demanded by a particular venue, have stayed a member ever since as it's a good thing for a musician to be part of and to contribute to. Join!

ficelles