Why become a member? ×

Pro Tools files into GarageBand???

Oggy

Hi Chaps

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get Pro Tools files into GarageBand for editing / mixing, and if so how? I have a Mac with GarageBand and access to some Pro Tools files of our band from a studio recording session - I'd like to edit, overdub and mix them (play around with them) to get some experience.

I’ve only just started playing around with GarageBand (good fun making up backing tracks to play against and add bass / vocals etc.), so my knowlwdge of these things is pretty ‘limited’.

Oggy :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1259237' date='Jun 7 2011, 03:04 AM']Protools files are not compatible in Garageband/Logic or vice versa.

You'll have to export the individual track files in Protools to WAV or similiar filetype, and then re-import them back in Garageband.[/quote]

Hi Bankai

Thanks for that, appreciated.

I've spoken to the recording engineer who did the origional recordings for us, he has agreed to give me the files and stems - this is what he emailed me:

[i]The files are already wav format so you're all good there.

They are all in one folder labelled 'audio files'. Ordering them by size on the pc/mac will group them into song order. I.e all files of the same size will make up one take and should be dropped into your software as a group.[/i]

I'll just have to ask him what he means by "[i]all files of the same size will make up one take and should be dropped into your software as a group[/i]". I thought I'd have to create a 'Real Instrument track for each file (i.e 6 files of the same size - create 6 Real Instrument tracks in the time line) then drop each file onto an individual track.

Bit of a Black Art this recording stuff.

Thanks again for the info.

Oggy :)