Why become a member? ×

HELP!! Tascam Bass Trainer MP-BT1: Error messages, locked up

lanark

My bass trainer is locked up. I've just been using it as normal, not dropped it or anything, but when I turned it on yesterday I got the pop up message (without doing anything other than turn it on) "Memory Error: Init Memory are you sure?". Pressing every button, the only option I have is to press Enter. When I do that, I get the message " System Err 50: Please PWR OFF". When turned off and on again, then same process happens.

I've reset it using the hole in the rear of the unit, but no luck. Just once or twice, it's started to work, but upon next turning it on, the same error messages appear.

I've even reloaded the firmware on the one or two occasions when it's started working and that's not helped either.

I have the option of reformatting it as a hard drive from my PC, but I'm very scared that that would remove all the functionality and even if it worked, all I'd be left with would be a hard drive that no longer worked as a bass trainer.

I've sent the Tascam Repair Centre a message, but as it's the weekend, I don't espect to hear back from them until about Wednesday, so in the meantime - does anyone have any bright ideas on how I woujld be able to fix this and avoid the 4 week wait to get it back from them (assuming that it's something they'd be able / willing to fix anyway).

HELP!!!

That's a very scary-sounding error message. Have you tried doing an on-board reformat (when it'll let you in)?

Menu >> Setup >> Full Format

*Might* do it. The manual implies that re-formatting the memory just re-loads the setup file, whereas a Full Format regenerates it as well as checking the memory for errors. It takes ages, so make sure it's fully charged up first.

According to the list of error messages in the back of the manual, formatting the Tascam from a computer won't work - it needs to do it internally.

[url="http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/147/OM_MPBT1_eng_v100.pdf"]Link to Manual[/url] if you need it.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1257831' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:31 PM']That's a very scary-sounding error message. Have you tried doing an on-board reformat (when it'll let you in)?

Menu >> Setup >> Full Format

*Might* do it. The manual implies that re-formatting the memory just re-loads the setup file, whereas a Full Format regenerates it as well as checking the memory for errors. It takes ages, so make sure it's fully charged up first.

According to the list of error messages in the back of the manual, formatting the Tascam from a computer won't work - it needs to do it internally.

[url="http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/147/OM_MPBT1_eng_v100.pdf"]Link to Manual[/url] if you need it.

Pete.[/quote]

Unfortunately I've not managed to get past the Error screens, for the last day. I'm seeing if running the battery down will do anything different now (don't see why, but you never know).

I'm wondering if reformatting from a computer might at least prompt the unit itself to do an internal format. If I DID reformat from the PC would it destroy its functionality if I used the FAT format? I bought this off ebay so I don't even have a warrantly.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='1257841' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:39 PM']Unfortunately I've not managed to get past the Error screens, for the last day. I'm seeing if running the battery down will do anything different now (don't see why, but you never know).

I'm wondering if reformatting from a computer might at least prompt the unit itself to do an internal format. If I DID reformat from the PC would it destroy its functionality if I used the FAT format? I bought this off ebay so I don't even have a warranty.[/quote]
Hard to say. The way I read the manual, formatting the disk to FAT via USB means it won't work - it needs a couple of internally generated system files to work.

The manual does state that this will cause the following error message:

[quote]"FORMAT ERROR Format Memory"
This message appears if the FAT format in the Flash Memory is invalid, or is damaged.
It also appears if the Flash Memory was formatted with a computer.[/quote]
HOWEVER... It might be worth a go anyway, as you should then be able to reformat via the BT1 menu.

If you do try a computer format, add two folders to the root called MUSIC and UTILITY

You also need two system files... no idea if these will work, but here's mine:

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-bt1.sys"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-bt1.sys[/url] - This is the main System File.

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-xt1.lst"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-xt1.lst[/url] - This one is the Playlist File, so won't work (as you don't have the tunes on my playlist), but shouldn't affect matters.

First off though, I'd hang fire for a couple of days & see if Tascam get back to you & what they say.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1257909' date='Jun 5 2011, 10:41 PM']HOWEVER... It might be worth a go anyway, as you should then be able to reformat via the BT1 menu.

If you do try a computer format, add two folders to the root called MUSIC and UTILITY

You also need two system files... no idea if these will work, but here's mine:

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-bt1.sys"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-bt1.sys[/url] - This is the main System File.

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-xt1.lst"]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/mp-xt1.lst[/url] - This one is the Playlist File, so won't work (as you don't have the tunes on my playlist), but shouldn't affect matters.

First off though, I'd hang fire for a couple of days & see if Tascam get back to you & what they say.

Pete.[/quote]

Thanks for the files, it's very kind of you. Am I right that the System file goes into the Utility folder?

Never having had a hard drive iPod or similar, I'm not sure if formatting the drive will stop it working. Will it still have the software to make it work and boot up if I reformat the FAT disc?

I'm definitely waiting until I hear from Tascam before I try anything drastic, but thanks an awful lot for your help.

I've now got a reply from Tascam, as follows:

Thank you for contacting Tascam U.K

You either have a fault with the Internal SD card or a fault on the DP card.

Please return the unit to our Service department for further investigation .

Kind Regards

Jo Fialho

Service Manager

TEAC U.K. LTD.

Building 6,19-20 The Courtyards .Croxley Green Business Park

Hatters Lane. Watford Herts WD18 8TE

Anyone had any dealings with Tascam who can give me any idea of a) how long they'll take and :) how much they'll charge?

[quote name='lanark' post='1257970' date='Jun 6 2011, 12:17 AM']I've now got a reply from Tascam, as follows:

Thank you for contacting Tascam U.K

You either have a fault with the Internal SD card or a fault on the DP card.

Please return the unit to our Service department for further investigation .

Kind Regards

Jo Fialho

Service Manager

TEAC U.K. LTD.

Building 6,19-20 The Courtyards .Croxley Green Business Park

Hatters Lane. Watford Herts WD18 8TE

Anyone had any dealings with Tascam who can give me any idea of a) how long they'll take and :) how much they'll charge?[/quote]

Not had any dealing with them, but I am sure that before they go ahead with any repair that they should give you an idea of the cost involved to repair it.

Let us know how you get on, I have had mine for 2 years now and not had any problem even after I have installed their new firmware earlier last summer. Good luck

I'd only bought it off eBay last week. Do you think I should instead be looking to send it back to the guy I bought it off? Or would that be too cheeky? I'd only received it on Wednesday and it stopped working on Saturday.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='1257939' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:18 PM']Thanks for the files, it's very kind of you. Am I right that the System file goes into the Utility folder?

Never having had a hard drive iPod or similar, I'm not sure if formatting the drive will stop it working. Will it still have the software to make it work and boot up if I reformat the FAT disc?

I'm definitely waiting until I hear from Tascam before I try anything drastic, but thanks an awful lot for your help.[/quote]
That's a fairly impressive response time, even if the outcome appears to be (possibly) expensive.

As they've said it's mullered, that pretty much gives you carte blanche to have a go first - nought to lose by it IMO, but YMMV.

If you view the drive structure in Windoze Explorer, it looks like this:

The only thing I've ever put in the Utility folder was the firmware update.

According to the Manual, if the disk is incorrectly formatted you just get the error message I put up in post No. 4 & an option for the Tascam to run its own format, so it must have a Read Only chip in it somewhere that never gets formatted & contains all the operating instructions (kind of like the BIOS & other chips on a motherboard that tell a computer what it is even if there's no operating system or hard drive). Of course if the fault lies in one of those, the thing's pretty much toast.

Just seen your last post... As you've only had it a couple of days, I'd hold off all the poking around & see what Tascam say regarding cost. Let the seller know there's a problem & outline what happened - include the e-mail from Tascam (but DON'T link to this thread!). It's quite possible the Royal Fail has knocked it about, equally it could be the seller's pulling a flanker... equally equally, neither are at fault & the BT1 just decided to die. These days Ebay side with the buyer far more than the seller.

Please let us know the outcome if it goes back to Tascam. Like Grand Wazoo, I've had no trouble with mine, but it's handy to know what the score is if it all goes titzup.

Just one question... What have you used to re-charge the battery?

Pete.

For charging, I'd just used the USB lead. Like I said, it appeared to be working fine for a couple of days as well.

I'm a little disappointed because this is the first time I've bought anything used off Ebay. I've messaged him, he seems helpful enough, and keen to keep his 100% positive feedback. Obviously the least hassle for me would be to get my £75 back and start again - so maybe I should go that route first before my window for making a request for a refund closes.

Thanks for everyone's help.

[quote name='lanark' post='1258052' date='Jun 6 2011, 08:20 AM']For charging, I'd just used the USB lead. Like I said, it appeared to be working fine for a couple of days as well.

I'm a little disappointed because this is the first time I've bought anything used off Ebay. I've messaged him, he seems helpful enough, and keen to keep his 100% positive feedback. Obviously the least hassle for me would be to get my £75 back and start again - so maybe I should go that route first before my window for making a request for a refund closes.

Thanks for everyone's help.[/quote]

Yes. Return it because you have the right to do so in case the item don't work. Good luck.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1258155' date='Jun 6 2011, 10:42 AM']Yes. Return it because you have the right to do so in case the item don't work. Good luck.[/quote]

This is what I'm going to do. As it was working (briefly) when it arrived I assume that the seller wasn't aware this was about to croak, so I've offered to forego the delivery charge, so he's not out of pocket, but I've asked for a refund of what I paid for the item itself and will return it to him when he gives me his address.

It's such a shame, because for the day or so that it was working I absolutely loved it.

I had exactly the same fault with mine and it went back to Tascam. I think they re-flashed the memory or something like that but they didn't charge me except for what it cost for me to post it to them.

I dealt with a guy called Gary Maguire, if that helps...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1258370' date='Jun 6 2011, 01:51 PM']Take it up with Ebay . Put in a claim .

Edit I hope all comms have been through Ebay message centre?[/quote]

[quote name='woodster' post='1258385' date='Jun 6 2011, 02:04 PM']I had exactly the same fault with mine and it went back to Tascam. I think they re-flashed the memory or something like that but they didn't charge me except for what it cost for me to post it to them.

I dealt with a guy called Gary Maguire, if that helps...[/quote]

Woodster - I've PM'd you about this, hope you can help, cos I'd rather avoid going down the Resolution Centre route if possible (being very non-confrontational by nature).

Johnston - yup, all contact has been done through the ebay message centre. They say that I can claim that the Item wasn't as described, even though it worked for a day before breaking down. But the guy's been as helpful as I could possibly expect right the way through. Ho-hum.

Edited by lanark

Okay, Woodster's given me hope that this might be simpler than I first feared. I've put the unit in the post to Tascam S&R in Watford. Special delivery so will be there by tomorrow lunchtime. Here's hoping that mine is as simple as his was.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay - final update to this thread. Tascam have mended it - they replaced the memory card. Unfortunately it wasn't free, it cost me £36 (inc vat). The guy I bought it off from ebay is paying half the repair cost - I couldn't be arsed pressing for more.

But at least it's back - and more importantly, working.