Why become a member? ×

Hammer ons with your pick, right by the bridge.

Kingy_who

As a player who learned Bass playing fingerstyle, I realised that I needed to practice my picking. So I was mucking around, I picked the string then placed the pick right next to the string at the bridge so the pick acted like a sort of saddle, this created a strange hammer on type sound, but a bit different :) .

With a bit of practice, I can get the intonation better and do vibrato, I also need to try different picks to see how they sound, and even If you can do it fingerstyle.

Has anyone else done this? And are there any notable artists who use this technique? Is there even a proper name for it (if there isn't it shall now be called the Ieuan Hammer on :) )?

It might be a harmonic, I played the string then put the pick next to it so the pick split the string in two sections one between the pick and the bridge before the pickups so vibrations on it weren't picked up and the other which was nearly the whole normal length of the string, and was over the pickups so the sound was played through my amp. If I had a video camera I would film it, but I don't.