Why become a member? ×

Which Pickup?

Stroopy121

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, if it is could a mod do the necessary, pleaseandthankyou.

So - I'm looking into starting my first build soon, I've picked out the majority of the easy stuff - woods, colours, shape, bridge etc.

However, I'm a complete novice re: pickups and electronics (shocking considering I'm an electronic engineer but there you go).

I'm looking to start delving into what the differences are between using P pickups, J pickups, P/J, humbuckers, dual/single coil, DiMarzio vs Seymour Duncan vs EMG...? Series vs parallel? Active vs passive? On board pre-amp??

Where do I start looking? Might be worth a sticky/wiki that goes into all of these things, or am I actually asking 50 different questions here that requires too much information for one answer?

Thanks in advance.

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' post='1255406' date='Jun 3 2011, 02:24 PM']Where do I start looking?[/quote]

in 1951 where it starts with a single coil

you will not find the answer in one..some of your question is some kind of philosophy..you will find disciples of active basses with preamp, some of them love humbuckers some the splitcoil and there are also disciples who prefer the passive tone over the active one
and there are also disciples who love both, if the colour of the bass is black^^

try to hear the difference..select some archetypes like Stingray, P or J and listen to it
also important is where is the pcikup located on the bass..etc etc..
have fun..it is a long way to the top if you wanna rock^^

Edited by 73Jazz