Why become a member? ×

EAW 15

Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1252708' date='Jun 1 2011, 02:29 PM']Any of you guys ever seen one of these?

I'm wondering what the best inexpensive speaker might be for it. I'm thinking along the lines of an Eminence Deltalite-II 2515, that kind of thing.

Ideas? Thanks![/quote]

As it stands, from my onscreen diagnosis, that looks like an 85litre cabinet (approx 5300 cu.inches) (net of driver, ports and handle recesses).
Just so happens that........

[url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2512.pdf"]http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2512.pdf[/url]

....and what's the largest recommended size for a vented cabinet?????

You'll need to check the dimensions, the pattern and diameter of the baffle securing holes for yourself, but that looks workable.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='1253750' date='Jun 2 2011, 06:33 AM']As it stands, from my onscreen diagnosis, that looks like an 85litre cabinet (approx 5300 cu.inches) (net of driver, ports and handle recesses).
Just so happens that........

[url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2512.pdf"]http://www.eminence.com/pdf/DeltaliteII_2512.pdf[/url]

....and what's the largest recommended size for a vented cabinet?????

You'll need to check the dimensions, the pattern and diameter of the baffle securing holes for yourself, but that looks workable.

Balcro.[/quote]

The cab, on the outside, is about 24" x 18" x 19". It's full of insulation, and due to life here being less than friendly to industrial-oriented projects in the home, I haven't pulled the insulation from the cab to measure it inside... but it's 3/4" ply.

It's got 4 1/2" x 2" ports in it, but I can adjust those once I find some pipe that's of that size.

I'm also thinking the 3015 will do, but I have to look again (I'd rather go cheaper!). Thanks for looking at the specs for the recommended volume! Tell you what, I'm pretty distracted for a guy trying to focus on this kind of thing. I tend to be very slow about all this...!

Thanks for the reply.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1253768' date='Jun 2 2011, 12:01 PM']The cab, on the outside, is about 24" x 18" x 19". It's full of insulation, and due to life here being less than friendly to industrial-oriented projects in the home, I haven't pulled the insulation from the cab to measure it inside... but it's 3/4" ply.

It's got 4 1/2" x 2" ports in it, but I can adjust those once I find some pipe that's of that size.

I'm also thinking the 3015 will do, but I have to look again (I'd rather go cheaper!). Thanks for looking at the specs for the recommended volume! Tell you what, I'm pretty distracted for a guy trying to focus on this kind of thing. I tend to be very slow about all this...!

Thanks for the reply.[/quote]

Did a quick check based on your measurements. Cab seems to be 105 litres. Will come back to you later today.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1253878' date='Jun 2 2011, 08:03 AM']Did a quick check based on your measurements. Cab seems to be 105 litres. Will come back to you later today.

Balcro.[/quote]

I just downloaded WinISD. Maybe I can make heads or tails of it.

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1253932' date='Jun 2 2011, 01:26 PM']I just downloaded WinISD. Maybe I can make heads or tails of it.[/quote]

Have fun with that. I find both brilliant and maddening!

Check out the "Help" menu on how to enter data and in what order. The minimal entry of data seems to work best. Try the Eminence 15" Kappa LFA.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1254450' date='Jun 2 2011, 02:18 PM']Have fun with that. I find both brilliant and maddening!

Check out the "Help" menu on how to enter data and in what order. The minimal entry of data seems to work best. Try the Eminence 15" Kappa LFA.

Balcro.[/quote]

It's hell in a graphic user interface until you get a clue! I think I've found a driver that rools off near 45Hz- might have been that Kappa you mentioned, or the 3015 (not LF). Anyway, I think I'm getting near a purchase. And some PVC for new porting.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Kappalite 3015, and with the WinISD Alpha version I got the ports to 5 1/4". My info wasn't 100% complete as far as the physical specs of the driver, so I approximated on the remaining cab volume with the inwardly protruding basket, bracing, and ports. Couldn't do every single calculation... but it sounds pretty dern good! Played out twice over the weekend, and I'm getting to know it. It's got a nice low-end punch, moves a good deal of air, and feels like it'll handle what I've got for amplification without a problem. It's new to me, and I'm still learning about what it does.

I may need to add a third port if I get a stronger amp, to avoid "chuffing". But so far, so good. I sold my heavy Trace Elliot cabs, and boy is this thing light! I'd like to clone it, get another 3015, then I'll be in Piggy Heaven. Meanwhile I've got a GK 800RB and am getting an old Celestion 12 re-coned. I'll build an open-back cab for it, and will use it for a top-end to bi-amp the 800RB into... I guess I'll cross it over at around 1KHz or so.

Here's the cab with the longer, pvc ports:

Fun with noise!

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1275233' date='Jun 19 2011, 08:42 PM']I bought a Kappalite 3015, and with the WinISD Alpha version I got the ports to 5 1/4". My info wasn't 100% complete as far as the physical specs of the driver, so I approximated on the remaining cab volume with the inwardly protruding basket, bracing, and ports. Couldn't do every single calculation... but it sounds pretty dern good! Played out twice over the weekend, and I'm getting to know it. It's got a nice low-end punch, moves a good deal of air, and feels like it'll handle what I've got for amplification without a problem. It's new to me, and I'm still learning about what it does.

I may need to add a third port if I get a stronger amp, to avoid "chuffing". But so far, so good. I sold my heavy Trace Elliot cabs, and boy is this thing light! I'd like to clone it, get another 3015, then I'll be in Piggy Heaven. Meanwhile I've got a GK 800RB and am getting an old Celestion 12 re-coned. I'll build an open-back cab for it, and will use it for a top-end to bi-amp the 800RB into... I guess I'll cross it over at around 1KHz or so.

Here's the cab with the longer, pvc ports:

Fun with noise![/quote]

Good luck and enjoy!

Balcro.